What's new
What's new

Clausing 5913 slave cylinder removal

farmallboy15

Plastic
Just picked up a nice 5913 lathe to go along with my Bridgeport. Got it wired up and unfortunately the master cylinder on the variable speed dial isn’t affecting the slave cylinder. Has a couple leaks so was planning to replace the hose and seals and check the sliding pulley bushing while I was in there.

For some reason the slave cylinder retaining nut and shaft just spin free from the pulley. I thought the shaft was supposed to be linked to the pulley...? Probably a dumb question, but does anyone have any ideas for getting the nut and cylinder off?

I'm a bit late to this thread.

"farmallboy15: Clausing 5913 slave cylinder removal

For some reason the slave cylinder retaining nut and shaft just spin free from the pulley. I thought the shaft was supposed to be linked to the pulley...? Probably a dumb question, but does anyone have any ideas for getting the nut and cylinder off?"

There should be a hex socket in the end of the shaft (though I have cheated and just used a pair of side cutters in the threads. The shaft is not restrained - there is a hub on the far end that is retained in the fixed pulley bore with a snap ring. Sold my 5914 two weeks ago.

And there are some great Clausing forums for help.

See Terry K post #2 for Clausing IO group link: Questions For Moving a Free Clausing 5914

Aribert,
Thanks for that. I ended up figuring that out. Unfortunately, my hex socket was stripped out so I had to get creative as well.

Back