What's new
What's new

Clausing 8520 owners, Any tips or tricks?

Crank

Aluminum
Hello from the newbie,
I just brought home my Clausing 8520 on Sunday and after a good scrubbing it seems I actually have found a nice, lightly used machine that was hidden under a layer of grunge. I have a few maintenance items to address but overall it is in great shape. The original motor was removed but not detached and a Dayton with a variable speed control was installed in its place. The guy I bought it from thought the old motor was for an accessory for the mill since it was still attached but sitting to the side. I have seen a lot of good comments about these units but would like to know if there are any potential problem areas to keep an eye on. I have gotten in touch with Clausing and they indicated that parts support is not a problem for most items except the big castings. I will look forward to any input from fellow owners. I was not expecting to stumble on this unit and it was an expense I was not ready for, but I am very happy to get this unit due to the size and yet it is a full featured knee mill. Let me know what I should keep tabs on or buy in advance.
Thanks
Mark

mark,

Sounds like the only thing you need to do is to start making parts. There really isn't anything that you need to watch out for as these mills are about as simple as they get.

rodger

Great machine!

I've had an 8520 since 1976, and have done a lot of work with it. Only real complaint I have about it, is it's rather hard to oil; some of the spring loaded ball bearing oil holes are awkward to get at.

Congratulations on your purchase! Joe

If you take the mill off the base, watch you don't damage the bottom end of the knee elevating screw. Watch you don't jam the back of a vise that overhangs the table into the column ways.

The pros here won't have the details you are looking for on that nice little mill. Suggest immediately going over and signing on [email protected] There are several very knowledgeable and long time 8520 owners who will quote part numbers and schematics answers to the most minute of questions.

thnx, jack vines

I want to thank everyone for their responses, I am realizing this unit is a rare gem and I was very fortunate to get it. It is a shame that there don't seem to be any domestic units in this size anymore. With todays' world, you would think the demand would exist for a unit like this, but I guess the imports rule the roost with their lower prices. I am going through my South Bend 10K to bring it on-line right now, but I have a strong suspicion that it will get a competitor, in the form of a Clausing 5914 that I am eyeing. Then I can have fashionably matching machinery. Thanks again and I welcome any further info or comments.
Mark

Congrats on your new purchase . . . . The clausing mills are my all time favorite mill. I have extra parts . . . send a pm if you need anything . . . now go and enjoy it :)

Okay, here is my stupid question. I saw one of these mills with a power feed attachment. It was identified as a factory part. Are these things findable or is there a common type readily available that will fit up? I am curious to see if I could incorporate one of these.
Thanks
Mark

I believe that finding a original power feed will not be likely or cost effective. But I can't see why you couldn't adapt one of the many standard power feeds available. At this point you've got the machines to make it work.

rodger

I also have an 8520....I agree about the oil holes. Otherwise it's a nice little machine and is quite capable for it's size. I don't use it for roughing things out....There's a guy on the Chaski board that uses shell mills on his, but the machine really isn't rigid enough for them. That's why I also have a shaper.

I have a servo type feed for mine, but just haven't mounted it, yet. I got the instructions from a member here, I think...

I mounted digital scales on mine. Originally, I had just the scales on it, but found the twisting my head to read them was uncomfortable, so I found digital displays at Shars Tool. They also have complete digital readouts that are very reasonable.

As far as matching machines go; I also have a Clausing 4901 lathe. It sits next to the mill...Same greenish gray color....

Enjoy it....

Andy Pullen

I agree with Bluehill about the OEM power feed. I did some looking for one about 15 years ago when I got my 8520. They were rare then and very prone to failure in the experience of the owners I talked to.

With your mill and lathe, you should have no trouble adapting a Servo or clone.

Jim

Thanks again for the inputs. I will worry about the feed later. I have to focus on getting my 10K back together and free up some space.
Thanks
Mark

One problem that some owners report is failure of the spindle brake. Apparently it can snap if used too aggressively.

A minor problem I've had is that the spindle can drop unexpectedly when using the rapid feed handle fi the quill bolt isn't tightened just right. That's mostly just a matter of being careful, though.

Servo used to sell a power feed and kit specifically for the Clausing 8520 and I think that Rockwell had a kit to fit their mill power feed to the Clausing. I put a Servo 140 power feed on mine and it was actually pretty easy, if not cheap. The import power feeds might also be easy to fit but they may need repairs more oftem. My power feed has been running fining for nearly 10 years now and a friend with an import has had to rebuild his twice now.

Mike

Thanks again for all the info. Terry, that was a phenomenal job! I will be able to focus on working with this once I get my overzealous madness done with and regain control of my garage. I need to turn some stuff into cash for a chance at another piece of equipment, so I am a bit focused on that and playing will have to wait.
Thanks
Mark

IMG_0110.jpg

Here is my 8520 with a Bridgeport M-head. I installed a Mititoyo DRO and shortened the scales. It has a Hitachi VFD also. Vise is a 5" Kurt, with the rear coolant lip milled off. It is flush with the back of the table. and does not hit the column when the Y is all the way in. The DRO is the best. The Y axis has 4.9" of travel, and you have to plan around that sometimes. I have the original parts and the powerfeed. Trust me, you don't want me to sell it to you. It is big and clunky. The cam arrangement that brings the gears in and out of mesh is very badly designed. It has a rheostat to control the motor. Bogus at best. I believe a Servo 140 will bolt right up without using the Bridgeport table bracket. Oil it every day and enjoy your mill.
--Doozer

Hello. I'm a new owner of a Clausing 8520, and am currently disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the machine. I have the table and cross slide fully disassembled (I used a bearing puller to remove the two metal "housings" that interface with the bearings at either end, but now can't quite see how to put it all back together? And advice on how to re-install the two metal "housings" that hold the bearings? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, but the link just sent me back to this thread. Any chance you have photos of re-installing the two housings for the cross-slide assembly?

Back