What's new
What's new

clausing 8540 restore...

jbmcmeans

Plastic
hi guys, next project is a clausing 8540 horizontal mill restore/rebuild/fix...
this is the third machine i have tackled first was a Cincinnati 12 1/2 hydrashift, then a South Bend 9a, both are looking spiffy and working properly well except for reverse on the 12 1/2... and coolant wiring... anyway, i enjoy it and use them after the fact. the clausing has a Bridgport M head on the over arms, nice addition. when i start messing with a machine i go to basic functions test before starting the tear down; the m head works fine, the mill runs and ways look decent enough for what i will use it for.

so i have a few questions:
the variable speed... they all say do not turn move adjust etc with the motor off. while i do not know why i head such warnings. but maybe the previous owner that let it sit in a damp garage for the last 20 years with a collet stuck in it did not heed that warning? what happens if someone turns the speed adjustment with the motor off?

next question, how the hell do you get to the barrel switch with the lever coming out of the top of the mill? there does not appear to be an access panel anywhere for that. from the back is all i can see but its rather tight fit.

thanks for any advice.

There is a reflector for old Clausing iron, like the 8540: <[email protected]>. There are many discussions and photographs available.

As for the Variable Speed (Reeves) drive, the problem is that if the machine is not running, it won't be mechanically possible to move the pulleys and belt, and one may break something by pushing too hard.

Joe Gwinn

Back