What's new
What's new

clausing colchester head gear metal question

Lollydude

Plastic
I have an old bullet head clausing colchester lathe 13" I believe it is a student master Model 6525. One of the teeth on a 14/24 gear in the head is broken off. It was like this when I bought it. I have just stayed out of that gear when using the lathe. My question is: Are the gears made of hardened steel? I am thinking of welding up the gear tooth and machining it down. I just wanted to know what metal I am working with before I jump into this project. Any information or suggestions would be welcomed: IE: what welding process to use, Mig or Tig, what filler metal to use, ect. If I do this I want it to be correct. As I am sure all of you know that parts are hard to find and expensive.

The gears are alloy steel ,and induction hardened ,but not particularly hard......no doubt to avoid breakage in college service...............Ive bought and sold lots of Colchester ex school lathes,and Ive noticed gear repairs done with nickle bronze.....And these repairs seem to last OK too.......But your lathe ,your pet method........You might also note ,the gears look to be standard 10 DP,but actually arent.

Ha I have operated and owned many Colchester's and Harrison lathes starting back in the 70's. My tools are retired now but I have a newer 13" colchester in my shop and love to use it. I would love to have a 6525 in nice shape I love the classic lines. Anyway first simple thing to do is just rub a file on the broken tooth and that will give you a quick indication if it is heat treated. From that indication you can make a decision on best approach to repair.

Or you can watch the video and see the gears being induction hardened under water....quite interesting ,except the millenial who colourized the B&W chose a gaudy gold colour for the paint ,instead of the staid green they were actually painted.

Back