What's new
What's new

Clausing Colechester brake

Grandslam

Plastic
Happy NewYear folks,
I bought a used CC 8000 or Master 2500 13x40 a month ago and have a few issues that need to be resolved. I’m running the 220 3 phase motor with a VFD. The lathe has an electro-mechanical brake that is activated by a solenoid
With the lathe out of gear the headstock spindle is hard to turn. If I run the lathe for 10 minutes or so the metal gets warm in the area of the brake. I expect the brake is engaged when the brake solenoid is not active. With the VFD output going directly to the motor the other electrical parts of the lathe are not powered. With normal 3 phase power, one leg is used to power the other electrical components,one of which is the brake solenoid.
I think it is a easy task to remove the solenoid but I’m wondering if I need to open the headstock gearbox cover and remove the brake pads too?
Thanks guys R

You say that one leg of the 3 phase is used to run the other components.... better check as you should have a control transformer that must get proper voltage going in to get 120v coming out that is normally used for control functions- the on/off, and electric brake. Best get in there with a volt meter as just disconnecting the brake may hide the real problem until you burn something up.

Thanks Mark,
Yeah! Last thing I want to do is burn something up. I have the VFD connected straight to the motor therefore bypassing all the other electrical components. On the front panel of the headstock is a push button that when pushed allows the headstock spindle to spin free if the lathe was powered normally. Since there is no power to these accessories the brake is normally on. At least I think this is how it works,
Sag, thanks for the PDF there are some illustrations in the manual that you sent that are not in my instruction manual.
Thanks R

Sag, the later models did away with the foot brake and went to a solenoid activated brake.

That's interesting, a friend has what Machinery 600 Australia said was one of the last Master 2500's to be sold here and it's a mechanical footbrake based unit, I guess there are regional variations.

hello. I have a colchester master 2500 lathe. my plate for the selection of thread and speeds is not all visible i was wondering if you would have a picture. my tour is on english system. thank you.

How to determine the year is possible with the serial number.
Mch N°5-0004-02029
How to post pictures I new in this forum.
Thanks

I suspect the brake solenoid is single phase so it can be supplied outside of the vfd. probably 108-120 volts or 220-240. It should not be vfd powered maybe switched through the vfd auxillary contacts as used to run a suds pump.
Bill D

Back