What's new
What's new

Clausing debate

jmastffp

Plastic
Looking to replace my Birmingham YCL1236GH I use in my gunsmith shop with something a little more classic and accurate. Have two older clausings I’m looking at. A 5449 and a 5914. Very similar machines. Wanted to get some opinions, and see if one is preferred over the other & why. Also curious if one is easier to maintain, and find parts for? Thanks for your time

There seem to be a lot more Clausing 5900-series lathes out there than 5400-series, so the 5914 probably makes more sense from a spare parts and accessory availability standpoint.

It's likely that condition and tooling will be more important than model # in terms of this being an upgrade. Could even be that the lathe you already own will be in better condition, accuracy wise?

Some folks have had problems with Clausing variable speed units -- something extra to pay attention if either of the lathes you're considering is so-equipped.

I have both a 5914 Clausing and a 12X36 gear head that would be the equivalent of your B'ham. Bought the gear head new and the Clausing is a very late model a few hundred serials from the end. Clausing has 2 things I like a taper attachment AND the biggie a spindle brake/clutch. Has the vari speed system which I have replaced the seals in MC and slave cheap and easy. 2 things I don't like MT-2 tail stock and short gib on the cross slide. The 12X36 Acra Turn scores better here. Bottom line I use the Acra turn most of the time. My .02 I think you will not gain anything by switching ! My .05 Buy Clausing and also keep the B'ham,have 2 lathes is rather handy.

Back