What's new
What's new

"Cle-line" drills any good?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
I've liked Cleveland brand drills in the past but now I see an "Cle-line" being offered instead.

Another off shore sell out?

I also see a "Cle-max" brand, is that the old Cleveland?

As far as I know the "Cle-Line" is Cleveland brand drill. I never saw the "Cle-Max brand '

I know Cleveland and Cle-Line are both Greenfield Industries brands these days as is Chicago-Latrobe. I assume Cle-Max is also and just a designation similar to Cleveland's old Mo-Max high speed steel label.

Did a little more digging.

Looks like Cle-Max and Cleveland are the same as they show the same part # for these 1/4" drills:

1/4" CLE-MAX™ Black Oxide 118deg Point HSSE General Purpose Jobber Drill
| Fastenal

mscdirect.com is currently unavailable

There's a "Cle-Force" and Cle-Line", both don't pass the sniff test for me and are surely off shore crap:

Why good companies with good names are so greedy they have to do this is beyond me...

Why good companies with good names are so greedy they have to do this is beyond me...

They WERE good drills. Very. They might still be.

But AFAIK, they've been Chinese owned - outright - for Donkey's Years, already.
World's largest maker of drills. Dalian Top-Eastern.

Dalian offshores a lot of their production. Some to Europe. Some to the USA.

Not sure how yah tell which ones are made in their US factory and which ones are made in China, Germany, Mexico, or Canada.

Same production equipment, IIRC. US, Nederlands, German, and Japanese made.

As of lately I have been using Hertel Cobalt drills and have had great luck with them. I am not sure about the country of origin but the grinds are pretty good and they cut on size. Tool life has been great so far.

Last edited:

Back