What's new
What's new

Cleaning diamond files

I use Barkeepers Friend ( like Comet but without the chemicals) and make a slurry with water and rub it in with your fingers. Rinse with water. Sometimes takes a couple of applications for really dirty wheels.

... It would be good to know what they are contaminated with too.
That is sort of a key.
Ultrasonic cleaners seem to work well for me on diamond plated files and regular stones.
Even the little $40 jewelry cleaner guys although you have to watch tray size when buying such.
Plated diamond files loaded with carbide and I use diluted phosphoric acid, stones used on steel I use dish soap and water and a longer run.
On a diamond resin wheel I just use a stick. On plated wheels I never "clean" them.
Bob

These are mostly plated although I do have some that are resin bonded. They are contaminated with carbide for sure and possibly some other alloys. I will try some of the barkeepers friend. Thanks very much for the replies.

Loose abrasive on a flat plate works best for resin bond stones. What abrasive depends on the resin and size of the diamond crystals. It removes the contamination and better exposes the diamond.

Back