What's new
What's new

clutch plate material

ronf

Cast Iron
I'm working on a clutch plate for an oil field service rig, it's for the draw works. That means it is in a big winch, the plate diameter is 21 3/4 inch, I would like to know what kind of material was used in the steel backing plate? Before you all say buy new, forget it, the manufacture only made five of these 60 years ago, there are none. the plate is .068 thick I was looking at using A514 but I can not get it in that thickness. What steel is available in 14 or 15 gage with good flex properties ? The friction material is no problem we can get that from a shop in Texas.

Most of those clutch plates I recall were a lot thicker than that. Have tried WTC down in Witcha, Texas? Them Chinese will make just about anything you want from them. Seem like them plates were some where closer to .25" or thicker? Ken

I made a clutch plate on site using a circular saw blade for the steel disc ...and Ive heard a story that a WW2 Federal 604 had a plate made from the top of a 50 gal oil drum to get the truck mobile again in the middle of nowhere.

I agree, you would think the plate would be heavier, but I have it out and it measures the .068, not know how the rest of it is I would hate to reengineer it. I find that it can snowball on you with unforeseen problems. Thanks John that might be a very good source for material.

And thicker if you like. I still have part of a 3/16 thick square I bought years ago

Here are some discs that worked just fine (from thinner stuff) in a fairly modern off shore engine lathe right from water jet

Clutch Discs.jpg

I agree, you would think the plate would be heavier, but I have it out and it measures the .068, not know how the rest of it is I would hate to reengineer it. I find that it can snowball on you with unforeseen problems. Thanks John that might be a very good source for material.

Thickness wont be critical within wide limits,because the clutch will have a large adjustment range to allow for friction lining wear......In general ,automotive clutch plates are made of thin spring steel,for reasons of changing gear......a winch doesnt need to do this,so any weight/thickness of material is acceptable.

Why would you not Blanchard grind after you machine it ?

the winch is a single plate with a large diameter air bag (the same size as the clutch plate) that supplies the engagement force, I have not seen exactly how it works, just given the old plate to copy and a verbal description of the operation of it. Like I said earlier only five units like this was made, I suspect it was not a real success.

Sounds like the GM Airflex clutch.My old 50 ton Koehring had these,completely adjustment and maintenance free ,until the air bag cracked ,and let out the precious working fluid.

Back