What's new
What's new

CM CYCLONE 646 1 Ton Chain Hoist

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC

Aluminum
I picked up a used CM CYCLONE 646 hand operated chain hoist. I need the hand chain (CM # 85808). Found it online for $10-$20 per foot, yikes......
It's 15/64" diameter chain. Anyone have a substitute chain that is less expensive? Can anyone explain why the hand chain would be so expensive?

Thank!

Chuck

Chuck,

In the past I picked up a free come a long without the chain, phoned a local chain supplier and they figured they had a suitable chain in stock so you might want to phone around. The chain is likely more expensive due to safety/liability issues related to lifting things up. In the case of the come a long I had regular chain would almost work but would bind.

Dave

[QUOTEAnyone have a substitute chain that is less expensive? Can anyone explain why the hand chain would be so expensive?][/QUOTE]

Load-bearing chain is made from special alloy steels, to exacting tolerances, and with very precise heat treatment. Plus, when you add in a liability cost factor, it's easy to understand why high quality load chain costs so much.

[QUOTEAnyone have a substitute chain that is less expensive? Can anyone explain why the hand chain would be so expensive?]

Load-bearing chain is made from special alloy steels, to exacting tolerances, and with very precise heat treatment. Plus, when you add in a liability cost factor, it's easy to understand why high quality load chain costs so much.[/QUOTE]

O.P. said "Hand chain"...I bought a H.F. cheapy that the hand chain wasn't even welded....just bent closed.

Works just fine.

Last edited:
The hand chain is not load bearing

Load-bearing chain is made from special alloy steels, to exacting tolerances, and with very precise heat treatment. Plus, when you add in a liability cost factor, it's easy to understand why high quality load chain costs so much.

O.P. said "Hand chain"...I bought a H.F. cheapy that the hand chain wasn't even welded....just bent closed.

Works just fine.[/QUOTE]

I need the hand chain, not the load chain.

Chuck

Works just fine.

Chuck[/QUOTE]

Yup, I suggest you remove the handwheel, and go down to the local hardware store, try some chain
and find one that drapes nicely over the sprocket.

Chuck

Yup, I suggest you remove the handwheel, and go down to the local hardware store, try some chain
and find one that drapes nicely over the sprocket.[/QUOTE]

Was at HOME DEPOT last night with the sprocket and nothing fit.

What is H.F. chain you mentioned?

H.F. = Harbor Freight

It was the whole chain fall.

Wereabouts in NW Pa are you at ? Maybe an industrial
supplier would be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back