What's new
What's new

CNC Lathe's made for big boring bars

murrey89

Plastic
I've been looking for companies that have end turret style lathes like the old Warner & Swasey's. Does anyone know of a machine able to bore over 10xD with a bar over 4 inches in diameter? A 3 meter bed would be nice as well.

I've been looking for companies that have end turret style lathes like the old Warner & Swasey's. Does anyone know of a machine able to bore over 10xD with a bar over 4 inches in diameter? A 3 meter bed would be nice as well.

Do you mean the CNC series of slant bed lathes ?

The man you really needed to correspond with has unfortunately passed. This site, as well as the world, is much poorer for his passing.

Search for posts by JRIowa. He supervised a shop with that type of equipment.

The man you really needed to correspond with has unfortunately passed. This site, as well as the world, is much poorer for his passing.

Search for posts by JRIowa. He supervised a shop with that type of equipment.

Yes, If the OP would answer my question, I was going to direct him to that thread
involving the 32" slant bed I found for him..

Not sure if they are available over there in the USA but the Taiwanese made "SunFirm" and "Kinwa/Ajax/ChinHung" have a extra bolt on tool post that will take a 125mm/5" bar. they are available in bed lengths 3M and over. Quality is pretty good, we have a couple at work.

Old Mori SL-8 fits that bill. Slant bad lathe with a horizontal style turret.

Modern big lathes tend to have a separate block on the cross slide specifically for mounting long bars.

Short bed on this one, but you get the idea:

9495b_Mori_Seiki_SL-8_CNC_Lathe_Big_Bore.JPG

Back