What's new
What's new

Coating Thickness of Hot Dip Galvanizing

kustomizingkid

Titanium
Having some stuff hot dip galvanized and have some internal threads and some bushing bores to deal with. I imagine that I will have to chase some threads... the bushing bores are more curious to me.

Dip galvanizing creates a relatively thick coat (and thickness depends on many factor as the temperature, the shape of the part, the time immersed, etc) and is not even in thickness. Holes especially can accumulate more martial than flats. So threads do need to be re-threaded and bores reamed back to size. Commercial hot galvanized parts, bolts, for example, have the original part thread undersized to compensate for the buildup. But those are done in closely controlled cycle.

Hot dip galvanizing is absolutely not a precision process. It can leave blobs, spikes, and thick layers well over 10 times the thickness of the minimum coating. Better to think of it like dunking your part in Plasti-Sol, although the zinc isn't quite that thick.

I doubt you will be successful restoring bores with a mild compliant abrasive. I would run a reamer through.

That's well within shell reamer territory, which are readily available up to 4" (although the big ones will hurt your wallet.) 2" shell reamer here, and corresponding arbor here.

If that's too spendy, get a 2" bar of tool steel and do a shop-made rose reamer.

I have seen a lot of galvanized parts cleaned up with an oxy acetylene torch and wire brush. Heat the zink till molten and brush it off.
I didn’t think it would work but it did.

Back