What's new
What's new

Colchester 15” x 50” lathe value

BernieB

Plastic
So I chanced upon a Clausing Colchester 15” x 50” and I’m wondering what it’s worth. Was told to make an offer, don’t want to offend the guy with a lowball, and am curious what these things are worth these days. Few dings in the bed under the chuck. Looks used but not abused. Whaddya guys think?

Square head? Round head? Matrix clutch vs the other (can’t recall name, but almost no parts available for the other), what does headstock sound like in all speeds? Coolant filled apron with rusted out gears etc? Fixed and travelling steadies? What voltage?

Positives- easy to move- if square head it has a tapped hole in bed at balance point. Many parts are available, but pricey. Nice size that can fit in a garage. Not a Monarch, or even a TOS, but imho having had a bunch of hours on one, not a bad lathe.

Post pics please.

Condition, condition, condition!

L7

So I chanced upon a Clausing Colchester 15” x 50” and I’m wondering what it’s worth. Was told to make an offer, don’t want to offend the guy with a lowball, and am curious what these things are worth these days. Few dings in the bed under the chuck. Looks used but not abused. Whaddya guys think?

If you end up passing on the lathe, and it's OK with you and the seller, how about PM'ing me with some info. Thanks.

Was told everything in Alaska is double the price due to transport, I don’t imagine you’ve got a vast choice up there so you might have to go higher than eBay at a guess, they are however good machines but spares are a bit salty
Mark

These hold there value very well along with LeBlond and in my opinion are probably the two best selling general purpose lathes in the used market. You don't mention what style/age of machine it is. If its the more modern style with the rotating gear selector and the red Clausing badge on the front that its easily a $4500-7500 machine at a mid-west auction (based on condition and chucks). I've seen older round head Colchester and more modern clones selling for $3000-4000. I'd assume it worth far more in AK.

In a retail setting, I would place its value between $5 and $10,000. At auction, I would expect it to bring between $3 and $10,000. For insurance purposes, I'd use $125,000.

"clausing colchester" could mean about 60 years. the older, Harrison-looking ,rounded
head versions were very stout. i don't have any experience with the
newish - jelly-bean shifter plastic looking models, nor the clones. they do boast
a 3 inch bore.. but that's about it.

On Clausing/Colchester's, the serial number is on the flat between the front way and the next way near the tail end of lathe. The date can be obtained with the serial from the. dealer in Kalamazoo.
JH

Why talk about prices in Alaska? Why not Timbuktu prices for comparison? Or at least jolly old England home of Lady Godiva of the same Coventry as Colchester lathes.
Bill D

I wonder if lady Godiva was drop dead gorgeous or just drop? Peeping Tom would know, I am a Colchester fan, but not of fixing them, they can be a bit of a pain changing bearings in the headstock, very much like the heater on a car, “take everything to bits then start “, except it’s more worrying when you get bits left over!
Level with the guy and offer low as you have to ship to the end of the world, he should understand
Good luck
Mark

Why talk about prices in Alaska? Why not Timbuktu prices for comparison? Or at least jolly old England home of Lady Godiva of the same Coventry as Colchester lathes.
Bill D
Colchester lathes used to be made in Colchester. They’ve moved around a bit since then. I always considered them the “ Ford Focus “ of lathes. Spares can still be purchased at a reasonable price if you know where to go.

Regards Tyrone

Because BernieB is in Alaska. It would be nice if the site software put the location under people's name, like it used to.

The data is already there, click his name and look under "about" and there it is. Maybe on a site about collecting stamps it doesn't matter but machinery is expensive to ship :(

It does do that, but there's a glitch in the data entry point. There are two places to enter one's location. One of them displays it and the other only puts it in the "About" section. I've mentioned it to the site admin, I'm sure it's on a list somewhere.

Back