What's new
What's new

Colchester 1600 Bantma mk2 halfnut replacement.

griff25-06

Plastic
Hi All,
I am going to have to replace the halfnut on my Colchester Bantam mkll,can anyone tell me is it a full strip down or is there a way to just replace the halfnut without dismantling the apron.. Can you take the leadscrew out without taking the apron to bits?
If its a full strip down does anyone have a workshop manual describing how its done?

regards
Neil

If you remove the tail stock end of the iron lead screw support, you can swing the lead screw out of the way and gain access to some socket head screws that retain some steel plates that ride on the underside of the ways. Then remove the socket head screws that attach the apron to the cross slide casting. It takes some finessing but all the lead screws and shafts can be left in place while the apron slides off the tail stock end.

Not worked on that particular Colchester, but on all the lathes I’ve worked on removing the shafts is the easy part. Usually a taper dowel pin to knock out on the head stock end. Nothing fantastic. Bearings on the tail stock end, shaft support housing/ bracket do the end thrust of the screw. Bear in mind the apron can be quite heavy and not so straight forward to do without props of some sort. I worked on a Mastif, and from memory the half nut and shaft had a long way round assembly. I hope yours is different. If your making a new half nut, check the screw fits through the open half nut before putting it back on the saddle.

I believe there is a full series of rebuild instructions on Utube...........by the way,I suspect your lathe is a Mk 1 1/2.(so called).............I think the Mk 2 is actually the Harrison.

Back