What's new
What's new

Colchester Cross slide reassembly

zimbo

Aluminum
HI Guys,

Run into a small problem on my Colchester Mk 2 flat head.
Cross slide felt very stiff and was difficult to crank. Assumed a stray chip must have gotten stuck on the screw. Stripped it all down and gave it a good cleaning including the gibs and the cross slide screws. There was some gunk and pieces of chips/ swarf in the gallery of the saddle casting where the cross slide screw goes. Looks like at one time there was some grease on the cross slide screw

Anyway put it all back together this evening and thought it was ok, after some fiddling of the gib and cross slide nut screws, until I bolted on the QCTP. It was very hard to crank the cross slide. Loosened all the gib and cross slide screws.

Is there a particular way this assy goes back together?
Any preloads on the gibs # 8167 & #8475 gib adjusting screws. I tightened these before attaching the Xslide screw till i could move the xslide freely but didn't feel tight as i pushed and pulled it across the saddle casting.
What is the rule of thumb for setting the tension on the cross slide nuts #8278 & #8513/8630?
Maybe I have something out of alignment? On disassembly of the xslide screw, I did not see what direction the rear cross slide nut # 8278 was facing. I put the semi polished #8630 anti back lash wedge side towards the operator.

Appreciate your help.
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_190120.jpg
    IMG_20190909_190120.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 102
Try pulling the bronze nut for the cross slide screw out, rotating it 180 degrees and reinstalling it (if it's possible for that model), it can make the screw stiff if misaligned. Also it's possible for galling to occur behind the handwheel on the cast iron base, but that would have been like that before disassembly.

Back