What's new
What's new

Colchester triumph 2000 (Clausing 15") leveling question

thanvg

Hot Rolled
Hi to all,

I am about to finally level my Triumph 2000. Did a very fast check yesterday, trying to find where I should level off. The tops of the front and rear V ways don not seem to be at the same height. So, it will be the flats I guess. But, from a first check with an indicator off my (worn top) cross slide, I would not determine two flats of the same height!

I would assume that the wide flats should be used and not the clearance slots.

Check my manual, I have a scanned copy that is very bad in quality

colch_leveling.jpg

The insert in the picture is what I want exactly, I think it confirms leveling with spacers off the wide flats.

Can someone confirm, or point me to a better scanned manual? First gen (footbrake) manual has this information, the later one not.

Many thanks
Thanos

The procedure in the manual below for the Master 2500 will apply to your machine as well. After leveling, the headstock alignment should be checked also.

Colchester Master 2500.pdf - Google Drive

Thanks Lex,

the procedure is clear to me. I just wanted to make sure that the wide way flats are to be used for resting the level on.
It seems that his setup is only described in the insert on that image I already posted, found ONLY (and I checked master, triumph and mascott) on the manual for the first gen (square head I mean of course) footbrake Triumph...I just want a clearer scan of that page :)

BR,
Thanos

Hello Thanos
I see this post is from a year ago, was wondering if you ever found the correct detail?
I am in the process of leveling my triumph and also struggle to confirm where the level should be put and if the front to rear ways are on different height planes.
Please let me know if you can offer some advice.
BR
Jaco

My manual doesn't show much about it.

But I recently helped a friend level his Triumph 2000. We used a precision level, and two 123 blocks on the two flat bedways.
Went good, and the lathe perform with super accuracy, so it can't be too bad doing it this way [emoji16]

e4e49ecb7bb15c381338b61ce866685c.jpg

Colchester - The world turns on Colchester lathes.

Back