What's new
What's new

Colchester triumph 2000 low power on spindle

Deadalus

Plastic
Hi all,
Just bought a colchester conventional lathe and when it arrived i rushed to power it to see it working.
Had to rewire the wall sockets from 4 pins to 5 pins and it powers up but when i set it to 2000 rpm it just turns very slowly.
I think it can be a wiring problem or worse the motor that has some problem.
Anyone had a similar situation?
Thanks for the help in advance.

Five pin plug just has a dedicated earth ,as well as a neutral........here s my list of checks..(A)..is the motor running up to speed?....if not check your wiring effort first,then ..... fuze/breaker for dead phase,then star delta starter in lathe switchgear....it should click about 3 seconds after motor starts ,then motor goes to full speed.............assuuming electrics is OK,(B).....check clutch in lathe is not slipping.....if it is,then adjust clutch .....or it may need new parts .............and be very careful with 415v three phase......you wont get any second chances if you touch a live conductor..............I once had a meter go into a blinding blue flash,and a loud bang,and also had a star delta starter explode and blow the door from the motor controll box.........so do be careful.

Had a similar problem on a Triumph 2000, four out of five vee belts had all disintegrated, the last one was loose and shedding rubber, with new belts and the clutch adjusted, it ran fine.

Hi all,
Just bought a colchester conventional lathe and when it arrived i rushed to power it to see it working.
Had to rewire the wall sockets from 4 pins to 5 pins and it powers up but when i set it to 2000 rpm it just turns very slowly.
I think it can be a wiring problem or worse the motor that has some problem.
Anyone had a similar situation?
Thanks for the help in advance.

Check the clutch adjustment!!
If you need the procedure, PM me and I'll see if I can send you the pdf.

Cheers

I second the clutch adjustment! On the back of the headstock there should be a rectangular cover that when removed will open will show the clutches, it’s basically a set of two or three brass rings ( depending on if you have a brake clutch too) that get indexed to tighten and loosen the clutches. The 1600 mascot I used to run had the clutch instructions printed directly on the back of this cover.

On second thoughts, if the spindle responds in a similar way backwards and forwards it may well be a power supply issue

Thanks for all the replies.
Today just got an electrician and it seems that the clutch is slipping in the high revs.
In the low rev it spins ok with strenght but when i give it speed the clutch does not engage.
Again thanks for your help

It’s important to follow the instructions when setting the clutch, you can do some serious damage if it’s not done right!

Back