What's new
What's new

Colchester Triumph 7.5" (Round Head) Lathe

jim_cliff11

Plastic
Hi,

I have a Colchester Triumph 7.5" Mk1 (Round Head) which is used every day in our machine shop. It's an old girl, but it is priceless to our business and is still used just as much as the other lathes.

Today however it's given up. We can still select all gears on top (two levers) but the main high / low gear lever on the front is the issue. In low box all is fine. In high box when running the spindle slowly moves in its correct direction. But it doesn't pick speed up and I can stop it by hand.

I've removed the head off the gearbox and noticed that the high speed driving gear (drives spindle tube through selector) is spinning freely on the shaft. See attached pictures and video.

[video]http://81.138.85.180/~jim_cliff11/Triumph.mp4[/video]

IMG_7328.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7330.JPG

I can’t find any tech drawings for this lathe. There is no grub screw, roll pin or bolt to hold the gear onto the shaft so I can only assume its fixed to the shaft through splines. And subsequently the splines have worn off? However, it went from working fine to not in the space of 5 minutes with no grinding or typical gearbox failure sounds.

Does anyone have any experience with these lathes, and would be kind enough to advise?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7329.JPG
    IMG_7329.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 91
I think its going to be a key,woodruff,p/n 005.............incidentally,different from a Student............anyway you have to remove the shaft ,so any repair will be obvious.The gears are not very hard ,and modification would be easy ,if needed.

Last edited:

Back