What's new
What's new

Cold cut metal saw a few questions

Jacktegla

Plastic
I'm looking at purchasing a MACC cold cut saw, however, the motor is two speeds 2800 and 1400. When it's at 2800 its 3hp and when it's at 1400 its 2hp.
So I have a 2.2 kw phase converter will it run it in both speeds . Also what are the different speeds for what material and type should i be using for different speeds, I want it for cutting mild steel
Thanks

I've been told by the owner that he's used it for metal before so I'd guess that's not the blade speed

i'm curious what the asking price is-have almost identical ,kasto brand, saw on craigslist in bay area ca RIGHT NOW for 1k...we are'nt even talking shipping...pat

i'm curious what the asking price is-have almost identical ,kasto brand, saw on craigslist in bay area ca RIGHT NOW for 1k...we are'nt even talking shipping...pat

Its £150 at the moment it's not the best but I think its useable. Just needs a bit of fetteling I hope.

As mentioned, the saw you're considering isn't designed for cutting mild steel. My cold saw runs 34 rpm for steel and 17 rpm for stainless. Ferrous cold saws generally have two speeds below 100rpm.

It can cut steel with a carbide dry cut blade. At highest speed and hearing protection needed. Eye protection too. No coolant. But your results may vary.

I'm almost 100% sure it's a metal cutting saw especially as its identical as the one I use in work the rpm given on the motor is the motor speed not the blade speed.

If those are definitely the motor rpm's then you're probably good. My motor rpm's are 795/1660 so I'd assume that saw has blade speed rpm's of ~ 30/60. Either will cut mild steel, but if you ever cut stainless use the slower speed.

Back