What's new
What's new

Cold drawn Nitronic 60

DanielG

Stainless
I need to make a threaded stainless pin from 5/8" bar stock. This threads into another stainless part (tentatively 17-4) and will get disassembled routinely. To avoid galling, I'm considering Nitronic 60, but annealed isn't as strong. From the data sheets, it looks like 20% cold drawn will get me the higher yield stress as well as reduce the chances of stress corrosion cracking. Unfortunately, I've only found one place in the country that has it (HP Alloys has a drop of it) and it's way more expensive than annealed ($40+/pound vs. $9/pound). Does anyone know of a good source? Or a good alternative to Nitronic?

Why do you want annealed? Most Nitronic 60 out there is strain hardened. we used literally miles of the stuff. The good alternative is 17-4. Standard offering was 17-4 and upgrade was Nitronic 60.
JR

Why do you want annealed? Most Nitronic 60 out there is strain hardened. we used literally miles of the stuff. The good alternative is 17-4. Standard offering was 17-4 and upgrade was Nitronic 60.
JR

I don't want annealed, I'd prefer 20% cold drawn, but I'm having trouble sourcing it. All of my steel suppliers that even deal with Nitronic 60 are selling annealed.

Never heard of it. I've only seen the strain hardened and annealed. 99% of our N-60 was TGP bar.
JR

I bet the strain hardening is accomplished by cold drawing. :)

I am only seeing annealed. Where did you get the strain hardened material?

Back