What's new
What's new

Cold galvanize paint

Cole2534

Diamond
Repairing a messed up boat lift, the kind your fill the bladders with air and it pops your boat out of the water, and it involves some fab work. No biggie there, but I don't want to send it out for hot dip galvanizing.

If I seal up all the open tubes and paint everything with some cold galvanize paint, can I expect a reasonable level or protection before it begins to rust? These parts see no abrasion, just temporary sunmersion and constant splash in fresh water.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

If you do a good job prepping it and use a decent cold-galv, you'll get 2-3 years in fresh water. Less in hot humid climates.

You'll see it starting to rust, just keep ahead of it with touch ups.

My experience has been that it holds up well to corrosion, but rubs off easier than hot-dip, so it's better on static parts than mechanical.

If you do a good job prepping it and use a decent cold-galv, you'll get 2-3 years in fresh water. Less in hot humid climates.

You'll see it starting to rust, just keep ahead of it with touch ups.
Waiting to check the price on the Sherwin commercial stuff, so it'll be good paint and I'll follow prep as dictated.

I just hope it doesn't say- NACE near white. Ugh.

There is 99% zinc stuff, and then there's "color match" stuff.

IIRC the color match stuff has a wee bit less zinc, to make room for some aluminum
powder.

I was the LPS distributor for many a years and they have an excellent cold galv but has a not so excellent price. The 14 OZ spray cans were pushing $20 a pop while the one gallon on brush on was around $400. Etch the heck out of the surface....

My son's shop uses rustoleum on every thing wood, ateel and everthing. they say it hold up best.

its a roofing company and my son Matt is the mechanic to work on skylifts, trucks, roofing machines and everything..

I have some Gulf Coast paint that is a moisture cured urethane that comes with a separate can with zinc powder to mix with the paint. It has held up well on pipe risers with soil contact.

As above... I have a fresh water dock made from galv water pipe. Galv shot in three years. Stripped them with Muriatic acid at low water, painted with urethane steel hull "below water line" marine paint. 20 years+ later- still good. About $80 a quart. You get what you pay for.

Can't do paint, it won't match the other components.

If we had a galv shop in town I'd load up the components and take them to get a quote but the closest shop is 120mi away.

If we had a galv shop in town I'd load up the components and take them to get a quote but the closest shop is 120mi away.

PSSST....Paint the whole damn thing with the new color/paint.

That's probably what I'd do, but it's not what the guy wants.

Going to see about hot dip pricing today.

Yes, but if you sent it in for new hot dip, that's what you would get ….the whole thing.

If you dont have large surface areas but just welds and small patches to do then Gal-Viz would be the way to go. It is a solid rod of gavanizing that is smeared on when the metal is heated with a torch. Melts right into the existing galvanize and is usually a good color match. It will look new if the rest is dull and old. It is almost hot dip.

Another possibility is a spray galvanize guy could spray it. Locally some years ago there was a powder coating shop that also did galvanizing. It was some sort of spray metal gun that blew the molten zinc onto the part. It was not a dip so it could not get the inside of anything though.

The maine hull urethane paint product I use looks like galv. I use cold galv spray also... it will get rust spots through. Cold galv is just a simple paint with a high zinc content.

I was the LPS distributor for many a years and they have an excellent cold galv but has a not so excellent price. The 14 OZ spray cans were pushing $20 a pop while the one gallon on brush on was around $400. Etch the heck out of the surface....

But it was well worth it. That's what I used on the weathered top rails of a chain link fence and it is still good years later.

Back