What's new
What's new

Collet identification needed

GregSY

Diamond
Does anyone recognize this type of collet? I bought a set as part of an auction lot. There is no marking on them other than the size and either 'SA' or 'AS', depending how you read it. I've looked online and haven't been able to find any that look like it. Thanks.

collet.jpg

Thanks, that is a helpful link. But....they don't appear to match. The Z is closest but these collets have a shorter 'nose' and the angles are different. This is a comparison:

Nose angle Z = 40 Mystery = 55
Tail angle Z = 20 Mystery = 8

D Z =1.12 Mystery = 1.26
D1 Z= .81 Mystery = .86
L Z = 1.50 Mystery = 1.587
L1 Z= 1.02 Mystery = 1.255

There are 37 collets....there were 39 but two were broken so I tossed them. Smallest is .172 ID and largest is .762ID. There might be some duplicates.

Here's an end view. The logo looks like an S over an A or vice versa. But it could be a V instead of an A.collet 2.jpg

Here's an end view. The logo looks like an S over an A or vice versa. But it could be a V instead of an A.View attachment 320801

That is the mark used by Schaublin (Swiss) on collets. It is a small V inside a larger S.

I think they made a series of plain double angle collets like that. I think they were called E type. Eventually, Rego-Fix copied the E collet design but added an extractor groove, creating the ER collets and retaining nuts.

New Schaublin E-25 8mm Collet for Emco Maximat Lathe or Mill . Swiss Made | eBay Schaublin E-25 collet on eBay.

Collet - Wikipedia See section on ER collets.

Larry

Very good! I think that is it. That logo is hard to discern just what it says.

Well, now I just have to figure out what to do with them....I don't have a chuck and I'm not so sure I need them...

Very good! I think that is it. That logo is hard to discern just what it says.

Well, now I just have to figure out what to do with them....I don't have a chuck and I'm not so sure I need them...

"There are 37 collets....there were 39 but two were broken so I tossed them. Smallest is .172 ID and largest is .762ID. There might be some duplicates."

You apparently have a set of E-32 collets, based on ER-32 collets having a max bore of 21 mm. Next question is, who needs E-32 collets. I think ER collets have proven superior and have made the E type obsolete, but there must be some old European machines still in use that have the right chuck. There is a place in India that apparently still makes E-32 collets for $12.30 each.

https://www.toolsengg.com/e32-schaublin-collet

Larry

Thanks. I read that the E series collets were the precursor to the ER series, which have the groove to help keep them from getting stuck. I notice a lot of part numbers for ER-32's still use the 'E32' designation in the part number.

I wonder if an ER collet would hold these? I'm going to do some checking. If I had a chuck they might be worth keeping and using, though I really don't use collets (other than R8) a lot.

Back