What's new
What's new

Collets

rcavalieri

Plastic
Hey everyone At my shop we are looking to buy a full set of 5-C collets and purchasing has kicked it back saying the Hardinge 65 pc set is too much money quoting other brands So my question here is what other brands have others found that are very good quality in comparison to Hardinge,

Thanks in advance for all comments

Hardinge collets are made in the USA--Per Hardinge. I do not believe any one else makes the variety or quality of collets that Hardinge does. The last time I purchased Lindex their collet would not screw into the collet holder. That earned a quick return.

I would propose that you talk to purchasing and order one or two collets of other brands before commiting to a full set.
Lost

Hardinge is the only remaining maker of 5C hardened precision collets in the USA*. They still exist because they still make good collets.

I think that Schaublin collets are the best alternative to Hardinge. Have the buyer get a quote. Here is the contact info.

Collets

If most of a set of 65 5C collets will sit in the rack and never get used, it really does not matter if they are good collets. One approach is to wait until you need a good collet and order it from Hardinge and pay for overnight delivery. I don't know if Hardinge has stocking distributors around the USA anymore. At one time, they kept a stock of 5C collets at their Chicago area dealer ready for instant pickup.

Larry

* There are some other USA makers of 5C machinable step, expanding and emergency collets still around.

I was going to say the same thing. Purchasing can be a real PITA. Start out by getting them one or two at a time and yes, order them while in the middle of a job that really needs one. And yes to the overnight freight. I doubt that they can argue if the work is sitting idle on the shop floor while waiting for a collet.

Perhaps some wise-ass in purchasing will then see the wisdom of having the full set on hand. He or she, having forgotten your present request, may even suggest it. And, if not, then you will slowly but surely get at least the sizes that you really need. Or perhaps some upper manager will notice the delays in getting the work out and set purchasing right.

I tend to agree about some collets sitting around collecting dust. I have sets of collets by 16ths and half of them have never been used.

Hardinge is the only remaining maker of 5C hardened precision collets in the USA*. They still exist because they still make good collets.

I think that Schaublin collets are the best alternative to Hardinge. Have the buyer get a quote. Here is the contact info.

Collets

If most of a set of 65 5C collets will sit in the rack and never get used, it really does not matter if they are good collets. One approach is to wait until you need a good collet and order it from Hardinge and pay for overnight delivery. I don't know if Hardinge has stocking distributors around the USA anymore. At one time, they kept a stock of 5C collets at their Chicago area dealer ready for instant pickup.

Larry

* There are some other USA makers of 5C machinable step, expanding and emergency collets still around.

Hey everyone At my shop we are looking to buy a full set of 5-C collets and purchasing has kicked it back saying the Hardinge 65 pc set is too much money quoting other brands So my question here is what other brands have others found that are very good quality in comparison to Hardinge,

Thanks in advance for all comments

Kick it back up to sourcing...."How much doo you expect to pay for these collets ?"

Then have them buy either Shars or CDCO.

And when you have to work 4x as hard with crap collets, make sure sourcing
pays the 3x part of your time.

Plenty of used Hardinge 5C collets around. Turn the tables, make Purchasing buy 'em. :D

Used equipment dealers'd pee their pants at the chance to sell a set for 1/2 new price.

Purchasing, HR, Accounting, et al. - these originally came into being to implement the decisions taken by those who knew what they were doing because they did the work. It has been sad - disgusting, actually - to see them become the tail that now wags the dog at so many companies.

-Marty-

A: If $2500 is too much, boo to purchasing.
B: Step down to the 33pc set, 1/16" - 1-1/16" in 1/16" increments, it's only $1300 and will cover most things.

You'll probably still have to buy some oddball sizes individually.

I personally wouldn't buy any 5c collets that aren't Hardinge, but that's just me.

Or buy say the 10 main sizes you need right now, and for the foreseeable future, then wait till the new year, order 10 more in different sizes... Wait a month and order 10 more. Eventually you've got the whole set, and you made purchasing pay double for it (individual collets are $79ea so $5135 to buy a 65pc set vs the $2500 they charge when you buy them all at once).

I worked at a place like OP not soo long ago.

"that's alot of money"

"do we really need that"

"I have to get so and so AND so and so to sign off on this"

So glad I don't deal with that anymore. To OP, I would not go the cheap route. Purchasing thinks they've won now since you found a cheaper set, and YOU get to deal with all the headaches of a crappy ill-fitting collet now.

I purchased a new lathe about 15 years ago and it came with a set of collets that were non USA made I think. They are nice and concentric but the problem is you can't load them with the size they are marked without beating your stock or part into them. 1/2" collet measures .495 fully opened. We do have some Hardinge that allow the stock to slip in thankfully.

I purchased a new lathe about 15 years ago and it came with a set of collets that were non USA made I think. They are nice and concentric but the problem is you can't load them with the size they are marked without beating your stock or part into them. 1/2" collet measures .495 fully opened. We do have some Hardinge that allow the stock to slip in thankfully.

Been there and done that also with other brands. Had nothing to lose so I drove screwdrivers into the slots to spread them and heated the back diameter till it turned blue. Worked after a fashion and still use it today for not so fussy work.

It may be worth one attempt to "reason" with the purchasing weenies:
"Yes, one can find offshore collet sets for $300. There is a reason why they are $300, they are low quality materials and construction, no-precision, unreliable and unsuitable for doing their intended purpose: accurate, fast and quality work. Also, the Hardinge collets will last indefinitely, unlike the cheap imports..."

I've had varying luck with the misc "Lyndex" collets, they appear to be sourced hither and yon from various sources. I'm not convinced there is any difference in a "lyndex" collet than a $5 no-name one. Seems Hardinge collets are the only new ones that can be depended on to be constructed properly. Unless buying the hardinge collets, probably just as well off buying the cheapest ones around.

And Hardinge stands behind their products. Any sort of issue (Let's be honest, any sort of manufacturing can have defects, nobody is perfect)... They fix it. Period.

Since you're in a commercial shop I would definitely recommend the Hardinge collets. They are expensive, but well worth the cost when time is money. I started with a set of Hardinge collets by 1/32". They are easy to use, and have a gripping range of +/- .007. When I needed additional sizes I bought some used Hardinge, and went with the less expensive ones like Shars and no name ones from online suppliers when I couldn't find the Hardinge ones. The no name collets have a gripping range of +.000 to - .015. They do work, but the threads on some were rough compared to the Hardinge.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Shars and no name collets have the sizes printed on them while the Hardinge collets have the sizes engraved on them. Within months of use many of the printed labels became hard to read. With the more commonly used ones the label was totally gone within a year. I can live with the lesser quality, but only because they don't get used on a regular basis. They would be extremely frustrating to use when trying to get a rush job out the door.

Collets

Larry

schaublin w31.75 and 385e are 5c collets.

Are you purchasing a replacement set..... in addition to a set with a few bad and/or missing collets that you already have? Or are you starting from 0.
If its replacement....definitely consider buying the smaller set and the few others you need????

Hardinge I agree is still the best. One other option I never see mentioned is new Crawford(PBA) brand which are still made in England I think. I bought a few different sizes a few months back and while the fit and finish isn't Hardinge quality it is dang close. They are also presprung so a 1" will take stock that is a little on the high side, 1.005" fits without issue.

As far as I know only one place sells them at a decent price.

Back