What's new
What's new

Combo Mill/Lathes. Using both simultaneously with mill on saddle.

Bluetopsteering

Plastic
I'm in the market for a combo mill/lathe that I can use to mill new bearing ways for worm shafts. I currently am using a manual rotary table on my knee mill but turning the handle by hand is inconsistent. I have considered a powered rotary table but have been looking for a combo machine that would be much easier to use without having to set up rotary table everytime. I've looked at a few different manufacturers and it seems that all the mill heads are fixed in place so I was wondering if anyone has seen one that is attached to the saddle or is moveable to get closer/farther from headstock. Also wondering if these machines can be run simultaneously or if there are safety features in place. Thanks much!

Ryan

Any home shop grade mill/turn isn't going to be rigid enough to do that nor are you going to be able to turn the lathe slow enough to mill.

Yes it is, it is 10x54 so that would actually work pretty well if I were to buy one of those smaller bench lathes. My mill has an 8" extension so spindle to table distance is better than average. Thanks for the good idea!

I appreciate everyone's help and comments! I've been eyeing a Tormach CNC for some time now but can't get myself to throw $18,000 +- in that direction yet. I broke down the other night and bought a powered rotary table that should work beings my manual rotary table did the trick.

Back