What's new
What's new

Compatible stand for 3/4 hp 8 in balor grinder

danglin

Plastic
I just got a 3/4 HP low speed 8 inch Baldor grinder with CBN and Norton 3X wheels for the woodshop. The mounting holes are 7 3/8 side to side and 7 3/4 front to back. I can’t tell whether grinder stands I see online, e.g. Amazon would be compatible, say from Jet, Grizzly, etc.
I know Baldor has some more pricey ones, like the GA16 on this page. Wonder if they are similar to what you are using.
?Advice

Buffer Stands for Buffing & Detailing - TP Tools & Equipment

I just got a 3/4 HP low speed 8 inch Baldor grinder with CBN and Norton 3X wheels for the woodshop. The mounting holes are 7 3/8 side to side and 7 3/4 front to back. I can’t tell whether grinder stands I see online, e.g. Amazon would be compatible, say from Jet, Grizzly, etc.
I know Baldor has some more pricey ones, like the GA16 on this page. Wonder if they are similar to what you are using.
?Advice

Have you simply "Called" TP tools ?

looks like the enclosed one, you will need to drill the holes in the top.

I would get a couple of pieces plate a piece of 3” standard wall pipe and a truck brake drum. And build my own.

About 40 years ago, I bought a Baldor carbide grinder and the sheet metal GA14 stand. I still use them and like the shelves for storing extra wheels. Maybe 15 years ago, I bought a Harbor Freight copy of the GA14 stand figuring they could not mess up copying something that simple, and it was a lot cheaper. Can't say if it is any good because I never took it out of the box (no floor space for the Baldor buffer I bought).

Larry

I have one of those low speed 8" Baldors, great for sharpening woodworking tools. I just use soft white alum oxide wheels. It's really easy to adapt any stand to fit your grinder if you can drill and maybe tap holes. You can use a piece of aluminum plate which cuts a lot more like wood than steel, and it will be totally adequate. If the stand is light sheet metal, a sandbag inside will help quiet it and damp vibration. Maybe more important for buffing, where you really lean in to it.

Weight matters. As does rotational inertia. All to keep the grinding stable despite slight imbalances as the spinning rock wears away. Though CBN wheels help here.

I wonder if buffer stands are heavy enough for a grinder. How heavy is the stand that Baldor sells with that grinder?

The Baldor formed sheet metal stands for the 6" - 8" grinder / buffers are at best 18 ga steel with a 16 ga top. They can be picked up with one hand.

I have two of them purchased perhaps 20 years ago and to give them some mass I added a base frame to both out of 2" square 1/4 wall tubing. More mass still would be very useful, but they're adequate for dressing up a bolt, grinding a cold chisel

I have a 12" SETCO double ended grinder, it's a bit over 600 pounds and a real joy to use and made to work hard and not beat you up in the process.

Mass in machine tools is usually your friend,

You can actually buy stands for grinders? I had no idea.

I've got 3" pipe welded onto rims, with a plate on top. I have one that is OLD!, and its all cast iron, top to bottom. I've got a stand out in the yard that I got with a 6" grinder, and its heavy, 4x4 tubing, but its being used to block a hole under the fence so the dog can't get out.

Back in the old days, you could just drive out by the big powerlines and find a bunch of crap people dumped and make whatever you needed. My first welding cart was built from scrap from under the power lines. My Dad still uses that welder, and its still on the same cart.

Just mickey mouse something together. $179 to hold a grinder.. Not in this lifetime.

I had a 3 phase 8" Baldor on a stand I gave away when I moved, the thing bent the axle on a hand truck that was rated for 300 pounds when I moved it. I just bolt my grinders to work benches.

Wonder if they are similar to what you are using.
?Advice

I made a stand that can be tilted about 20 degrees and two wheels contact the ground and I can roll it into another position.

5 x 5 box iron. 1/4" thick and a little under 3' long.

Stand the box and place three 90 degree angle iron lengths on the bottom. One long piece in the back of the box. And two equal lengths on each side pointing out.
The wheels are attached to the long back piece, and they can swivel from horizontal to vertical.

Take two short 90 degree angle iron lengths and bolt to the top of the box. There is where you bolt the grinder.

I made a identical one for a boring table. The bottom piece on the back did not get the wheels installed yet.

Tool4.jpg

You have seen those works of art with old road wheels with a post in the middle and filled with concrete?

Those stands seem to all have flat, table like tops. Place your grinder on it. Mark where you need holes. Drill the holes. Tap the holes (optional). And mount the grinder.

I don't see any compatibility problem. Or do you really expect that ALL the different manufacturers of grinders, in ALL the countries around the world have gotten together and decided on some kind standard mounting configuration? I can say two words about that: You DREAM!

I purchased a HF or Grizzly stand. It is made with steel angle and has a larger base than the top - truncated pyramid like design. It is perfectly stable. It has a shelf below the grinder where I can keep some tools or whatever. If I ever find that it needs to be heavier, I can go to WalMart and buy some weights to bolt below that shelf. Frankly, I have been thinking of mounting a larger table on top of it and using it for two grinders plus keeping one of my shop vac on it to provide vacuum for the dust. I think it will be sturdy enough for all of that without any added structure or weights.

This does the job. REALLY!

Universal Bench Grinder Stand

KISS! A grinder stand is not rocket science.

PS: the one with the cabinet base looks nice, but grossly overpriced for what you are getting. And I bet they do not have free shipping either.

?Advice

I put my Black Diamond grinder on one of these, made an adapter plate to fit:

Stands & Accessories - Bench grinder pedestal stand

Bolted to the floor it's very solid.

full

Back