What's new
What's new

Complete Screw Size Chart?

pcm81

Cast Iron
I am tired of having screws that are close in size for random things i need, but not exact the right size... After dealing with "small kits" for a number of years I am looking to assemble a "complete" collection of screws. Both US and Metric. What i am looking for is a complete listing of sizes that exist. In some places i see M1 then M1.4 in some others i see M1.1 and then M1.7... Is there a chart that shows all sizes that are available and are part of some kind of standard like US # screws? I am basically looking to establish a foundation or base of a system that i can fill with screws that i will be buying over near future.

This is the closest thing i found to a good listing for metric screws: Metric Screw Thread Chart | Tooling, Inc. - Axial Thread Rolling System - Metric Screw Threads ... | Chart tool, Easy woodworking projects, Woodworking
although it seems incomplete as well, because i see on ebay screw sizes starting with M1, but this chart starts with M1.4.
I realize there are also stupidly small screws like for watch makers, which may be a part of some other standard, and that are definitely too small for me to actually own, but what i would like to do is to define "the world" of screws that exist, to then build my collection as a subset of it.

Thanks ahead for sharing your knowledge

EDIT:
I found this huge catalog of thread sizes, very informative to look through: https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/files/136605/Thread Data Chart.pdf?1528751554
although i still do not know if all these standards translate to actual screw standards or of screw standards would be a subset of what is defined here.

The Machinery's Handbook has a pretty comprehensive list of screws and thread standards.

Don't forget, in addition to all the different possible threads you're going to need all the different possible heads and all the lengths.

The Machinery's Handbook has a pretty comprehensive list of screws and thread standards.

Don't forget, in addition to all the different possible threads you're going to need all the different possible heads and all the lengths.

yup. Going to take couple of years to assemble the collection. That is why i want to create a good system to start with.

After dealing with "small kits" for a number of years I am looking to assemble a "complete" collection of screws. Both US and Metric.

I would ask if the view is worth the climb. Because you have nominal diameter, then pitch (course, fine, very fine in some cases), then you have materials and, within material classes you have strength ("cream cheese", "eBay special" "big box" special, SAE ratings, AN ratings, metric ratings), head shape, bolt style (full thread, partial thread), drilled for wire or not, thread configuration (Unified, Whitworth, and, er.... Loewenhertz*). With the combinatorics I figure you could hit a couple million screws - with only one screw or bolt per type.

But everyone needs a hobby I guess.

I have more or less had the same idea, but there are simply too many sizes of screws/bolts available for anyone to amass any kind of complete collection. What I have done is:

1. When I needed a quantity of a certain sized screw, I looked into buying a full box (usually 100). After using what I needed, the remainder went into stock. I try to buy from places where I get a significant discount on the quantity.

2. For screws/bolts I have methods for cutting longer ones down to size and then deburring them. So I will have a box of 100 #6, round head, ALL THREAD screws and a cutter which can cut them to any size. Electronic crimping tools often have holes for cutting small screws to size. I am working on making a collection of holders for cutting larger bolts in my H/V band saw. I also have a couple of pairs of pliers that have been re-shaped to hold the heads of small screws while deburring the tips.

This, of course, works well for small quantities of screws. When a project needs larger numbers I fall back on buying that box of 100 or more.

3. I have an adoptable storage system. I use cardboard bins for a given screw size. So all #10 screws are in ONE cardboard bin, along with #10 nuts. Inside those cardboard bins I use Rx bottles to hold individual sizes. When you are in your 70s, Rx bottles are free and abundant. There are printed, round labels on the caps of each Rx bottle. I also cut the child-proof lock off those bottles. I like the ones from Walgreens because it is easy to cut the lock off. Washers are in their own bins.

For larger sizes, like 1/4" and above, I use cardboard, mini-bins for each size. Sometimes I need more than one of the larger bins for a given size: I presently have two large bins for the 1/4" size.

A key feature of this storage system is that it is EASY to add a new size between two existing ones. For instance, if I have two bottles with 1/2" and 1" long screws, I can just push them around inside the outer bin to add one for 3/4" screws. And if I suddenly get some #7 screws, then I can push the bins down the shelf to make room for a small bin for that size. I have done this several times in the past two or so years. This works for both English and metric sizes and for both wood and metal screws, not to mention other small parts. I have started organizing my collection of capacitors, which I have amassed in a similar manner, using the outer bins and the Rx bottles in them. I will probably wind up doing ICs that way too, but one thing at a time.

For real small screws (#4 and below), I use the clear, plastic bead boxes that are available in arts and crafts stores. These can store about 24 different sizes in only one inch of shelf space and all the contents are visible at a glance. These may work well for some of the smaller electronic parts.

This system is both adoptive and very efficient in the use of storage space. And it is relatively inexpensive. Of course, different materials or containers can be substituted. Many will prefer plastic bins and different types of small bottles or containers can be used instead of the Rx bottles.

So I do not worry about setting up storage for every possible size. I just add them as needed.

attachment.php

On the top shelf at the left you can see a cardboard bin with three of the plastic, bead boxes: the one on the right has a cardboard label inserted at the visible end. These bead boxes come with 24 round, screw top containers. I have made a four sided label that fits in the caps, has ample space for a description, and which leaves about half of the cap unblocked so you can see the contents. Here is a close-up of one of those bead boxes.

attachment.php

At the bottom of the first photo you can see a number of cardboard bins on one shelf. They are labeled starting with "#4" and each contains one size of screws. The last bin on the right, which is only half visible is the first of two for 1/4" size. After that they go up to 3/4" and then a couple for washers. Metric sizes and wood screws are on other shelves.

attachment.php

And YES, it did take me years to collect all of this. I am still in the process of getting all the odd boxes of screws into the correct bin and labeling everything. But this makes finding the screw, nut, or washer that I want/need really easy. And if I don't find it quickly, it is a pretty good bet that I do not have one. So I do not often waste money and time buying something that I already have. This IS a GOOD system.

yup. Going to take couple of years to assemble the collection. That is why i want to create a good system to start with.

I've never found a "complete" chart but you can find lots of info here:
J.I Morris Company | Miniature Screws & Fasteners Manufacturer
Custom Micro Screws & Miniature Screws | US Micro Screw (There are excellent US Microscrew products on Amazon but for some reason they are "search-resistant" unless you know the p/n.)
Screws & Bolts - Fasteners | MISUMI

Warning- tiny screws can be expensive so don't expect to fill multiple drawers of sizes just on speculation.

thanks for the link to that co. misumi vary cool site

I have a nice binder sized chart (multi pages) that gives nominal decimal OD of screws in a progressive list...and it equates the sizes to standard screw sizes...along with pitch choices
Metric, US ,Whitworth, British standard ,BA. and BSP...
Pretty complete i use it all the time to identify odd fasteners on cars here...

Got the chart from "Metric and Multistandard"
Metric Multistandard Components Corp.

Not sure they still have such an offering but it might be worth a call.
Cheers Ross

At the company where my son is an engineer (wont mention it because might get him in trouble) they have a stocking system set up where a company comes in and stocks the bins. There are about 10 Vidmar cabinets in the engineering and maintenance department with just about every screw and nut imaginable in everything from SS to monel. If the bins are too mixed up to easily and cost effectively straighten out then the contractor dumps the contents in a drum and restocks. They go to scrap or home in somebodies lunch box. And you wonder why we have a problem competing in the world market.

I have a nice binder sized chart (multi pages) that gives nominal decimal OD of screws in a progressive list...and it equates the sizes to standard screw sizes...along with pitch choices
Metric, US ,Whitworth, British standard ,BA. and BSP...
Pretty complete i use it all the time to identify odd fasteners on cars here...

Got the chart from "Metric and Multistandard"
Metric Multistandard Components Corp.

Not sure they still have such an offering but it might be worth a call.
Cheers Ross

That sounds useful Ross. For metric and SAE screws calculating OD is pretty simple. For US machine screws it is not that hard either:

0.060 + n * .013

Dave:
If memory serves it goes like this.....060" for a "0" add .013" per step....
So a #8 is (8 *.013)= .104" + .060= ..164"

Cheers Ross

Good move Sip..faster typing than i...

We have a full list of inch threads up to 6" under the education tab of our website.
Metric, acme etc. will be added soon.

They are split into easy to read columns and rows which makes viewing easier on the eyes.

I suppose one day we can stock nothing as we will all own a small specialized cnc machine that can make any screw size, with any thread, with any head configuration, from any material, on demand, just by picking from a chart. The only issue left will be hardening and coatings.

I am tired of having screws that are close in size for random things i need, but not exact the right size... After dealing with "small kits" for a number of years I am looking to assemble a "complete" collection of screws. Both US and Metric. What i am looking for is a complete listing of sizes that exist. In some places i see M1 then M1.4 in some others i see M1.1 and then M1.7... Is there a chart that shows all sizes that are available and are part of some kind of standard like US # screws? I am basically looking to establish a foundation or base of a system that i can fill with screws that i will be buying over near future.

This is the closest thing i found to a good listing for metric screws: Metric Screw Thread Chart | Tooling, Inc. - Axial Thread Rolling System - Metric Screw Threads ... | Chart tool, Easy woodworking projects, Woodworking
although it seems incomplete as well, because i see on ebay screw sizes starting with M1, but this chart starts with M1.4.
I realize there are also stupidly small screws like for watch makers, which may be a part of some other standard, and that are definitely too small for me to actually own, but what i would like to do is to define "the world" of screws that exist, to then build my collection as a subset of it.

Thanks ahead for sharing your knowledge

EDIT:
I found this huge catalog of thread sizes, very informative to look through: https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/files/136605/Thread Data Chart.pdf?1528751554
although i still do not know if all these standards translate to actual screw standards or of screw standards would be a subset of what is defined here.

Do you design your own equipment and parts or just work on other peoples?

For your own equipment, decide there are certain screw sizes you will use and those that you won't. Something like 4-40, 8-32, 1/4-20 would work well for small equipment benchtop type stuff.

For working on other peoples stuff, a chart will have limited usefulness unless going for the fully complete route. What you need will very much depend on the conventions of the parts and equipment you work on. Sure the chart has a 5-40 on there, but the only time I have run across one is when I designed one in myself as a young engineer and was rightfully put in my place when I sent the design to the machine shop.

I would aim for a pretty good set with the ability to fill in as needed. For my work this is all stainless, socket head drive, in cap, button, and flat heads. Sizes 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-20. Sizes in 1/8" increments up through 1" and then 1/4" increments up to 2" (the small ones stop at shorter sizes).

As others have said, if in doubt long screws can be cut, but it gets old fast.

For organizing, I like bins that can be individually picked up instead of trays. I just order some of these: Products - View All Products - Page 1 - Schaller Corporation

I also have a bunch of Lista branded ones that came with a cabinet I got. Using these in tool cabinet drawers makes it quick to shuffle the deck to insert new sizes. When you first organize the drawers, don't fill them completely, leave the back couple rows empty.

For buying hardware, see if you can find a small industrial supply place. There are still a few around. I found a guy selling assortments on Ebay and contacted him directly to do a custom order. I ordered an assortment of 146 different items 4-40 to 1/4-20, total of about 12K pieces. Pricing was very reasonable at about $3 a line item. I attached a snapshot of my spreadsheet if others are interested in it as a starting point.

Stainless Hardware.jpg

I have no connection other than being a recent customer:
CHRIS CROSBY
SWIFT SAW & TOOL SUPPLY
1200 W. 171ST STREET
HAZEL CREST, IL 60429
PH: 708-335-0550
FAX: 708-335-2826

At the company where my son is an engineer (wont mention it because might get him in trouble) they have a stocking system set up where a company comes in and stocks the bins. There are about 10 Vidmar cabinets in the engineering and maintenance department with just about every screw and nut imaginable in everything from SS to monel. If the bins are too mixed up to easily and cost effectively straighten out then the contractor dumps the contents in a drum and restocks. They go to scrap or home in somebodies lunch box. And you wonder why we have a problem competing in the world market.

I've been places with similar setups. Works ok until some idiot(s) start throwing leftovers back in the wrong boxes if they even bother. I'll bet I've seen $1million+ worth of fasteners thrown in dumpsters.

One place used to give the mixed up fasteners to a sheltered workshop. They'd kind of sort them out and sell them to a salvage store.

I suppose one day we can stock nothing as we will all own a small specialized cnc machine that can make any screw size, with any thread, with any head configuration, from any material, on demand, just by picking from a chart. The only issue left will be hardening and coatings.

It's called a Swiss Lathe. :D

Back