Completely non-flammable (zero hydrocarbon) lubricant for pneumatic cylinders? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raymond , CA
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calderp View Post
    I'm looking for some help on selecting a lubricant for some pneumatic cylinders.
    Any suggestions?
    You have not explained yet why the pneumatic cylinder needs grease lubrication.There are dry pneumatic cylinder seals/ guide combinations used in pressure intensifiers capable of operation at pressures above 10 ksi.

    Sprague Gas Boosters | High Pressure Company
    Piston-Type Pressure Intensifiers - Womack Machine Supply Company

    Your 1000 psi seal requirement is easy by comparison. The seals and guide rings are teflon composite polymers. They can be made to order.

    Your oil free 1000 psi nitrogen supply system already makes use of such seals.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
    You have not explained yet why the pneumatic cylinder needs grease lubrication.There are dry pneumatic cylinder seals/ guide combinations used in pressure intensifiers capable of operation at pressures above 10 ksi.

    Sprague Gas Boosters | High Pressure Company
    Piston-Type Pressure Intensifiers - Womack Machine Supply Company

    Your 1000 psi seal requirement is easy by comparison. The seals and guide rings are teflon composite polymers. They can be made to order.

    Your oil free 1000 psi nitrogen supply system already makes use of such seals.
    Thanks this is a great point. It's not really for lubrication of the cylinder it's mainly to keep the bores from rusting during long storage periods. Seems like most of the suggestions here have been for greases which don't quite fit the bill.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Lots of great info here, much appreciated. I will give Krytox a call and see if they have an less viscous lubricant that would fit the bill. Also going to look into air rifle lubes, that might be good enough for us as we don't really need anything high-performance

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3446
    Likes (Received)
    1352

    Default

    This may not apply, I'll throw it anyways. I use a couple of heat transfer fluids that have a very high flash point and not supposed to diesel on you under pressure. I deal with pressures up to 23K psi and temperatures up to 450 degrees F. Not unusual to go from liquid fluid to nitrogen in the same test fixture in the same test at temperature.

    heat transfer fluid - Google Search

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raymond , CA
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calderp View Post
    Thanks this is a great point. It's not really for lubrication of the cylinder it's mainly to keep the bores from rusting during long storage periods. Seems like most of the suggestions here have been for greases which don't quite fit the bill.
    The steel pneumatic cylinder will not rust if it is purged with dry nitrogen. It may be necessary to purge the cylinders , valves and plumbing, and cap off the supply and exhaust ports when the machine is put into long term storage.

    This is a common method to protect machined or ground surfaces when grease cannot be used.

    Your concern about grease ignition in a expansion cylinder is misplaced. In order for combustion to occur you need a ignition source, a vaporized fuel, and a oxidizer. All three components are missing.

    Cylinder oil, for example, has a flash point of roughly 450 deg F. Your expansion cylinder is operating with gas at 1000 psi from a storage tank at ambient temperature. When the gas enters the cylinder through a fast acting valve it expands and drops in temperature. The oil film on the cylinder wall is, at worst, at room temperature. There is no vaporized fuel and there is no ignition source. Diesel engines require a fast compression cycle to generate the high temperatures required for ignition. They also require a fuel atomizing nozzle.
    Last edited by Robert R; 07-19-2021 at 08:21 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    27,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6363

    Default

    [QUOTE=calderp;3784286]Lots of great info here, much appreciated. I will give Krytox a call and see if they have an less viscous lubricant...

    Krytox OIL. It's 250 cS at room temp.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    Several Krytox oils are available on McMaster Carr in various viscosities. McMaster-Carr None are cheap, some dearly expensive.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    9,478
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1666
    Likes (Received)
    3453

    Default

    Inland would have a selection of specialty oils and lubricants. Worth an ask there.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    3,399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    1130

    Default

    Here is another grease to look at. Omega 28 Super Fluoroether grease
    Can run in contact with 90% peroxide!
    Resistant to nuclear holocaust and every other thing that could wipe out life on earth.
    Omega 28 is formulated to withstand direct contact with:-

    Nitrogen Tetroxide
    Unsymmetrical Dimethylhydrazine
    Oxygen
    Turbine Fuel
    Ethyl Alcohol
    Boiling Nitric Acid
    Boiling Sulfuric Acid
    Aniline
    Ammonia
    Molten Sodium
    Hydroxide
    Hydrazine
    Diethylenetriamine
    Fluorine
    up to 90% Hydrogen Peroxide.

    When the last cockroach is gone this stuff on lubricated assembles with still be working. If you accidentally get some on your hand I am not sure what solvent will get it off, maybe a sand blaster.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    9,478
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1666
    Likes (Received)
    3453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Here is another grease to look at. Omega 28 Super Fluoroether grease
    Can run in contact with 90% peroxide!
    Resistant to nuclear holocaust and every other thing that could wipe out life on earth.
    Omega 28 is formulated to withstand direct contact with:-

    Nitrogen Tetroxide
    Unsymmetrical Dimethylhydrazine
    Oxygen
    Turbine Fuel
    Ethyl Alcohol
    Boiling Nitric Acid
    Boiling Sulfuric Acid
    Aniline
    Ammonia
    Molten Sodium
    Hydroxide
    Hydrazine
    Diethylenetriamine
    Fluorine
    up to 90% Hydrogen Peroxide.

    When the last cockroach is gone this stuff on lubricated assembles with still be working. If you accidentally get some on your hand I am not sure what solvent will get it off, maybe a sand blaster.


    Hmm, No mention of di hydrogen oxide. Strange, ......

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3162

    Default

    Hi CalG:
    Yeah you really gotta watch out for that di hydrogen oxide,,,that's some DANGEROUS stuff!

    Cheers

    Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    3,399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    1130

    Default

    Yeah I have heard that di-hydrogen oxide is dangerous stuff, but I do not think it holds a candle to boiling nitric, sulfuric acid or molten sodium. Sheesh!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    9

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    708
    Likes (Received)
    580

    Default

    How about silicone? Red Wing sells it in bottles for their boots. Armor All sells it everywhere. The stuff does indeed lube, and is damn near impossible to remove. They should use Armor All on condoms.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •