What's new
What's new

Connector that expands in a hole

316head

Aluminum
The shop I work at uses AFM process a lot. So far we have manufactured temporary threads for connecting workpieces to our AFM machine, but I am looking for something faster, such as a connector that would either mechanically or hydraulically expand inside a hole. Unfortunately I am having little luck finding such connectors! If anybody knows a manufacturer, I'd appreciate the info.

It's an ass F******* machine. President Trump has them on order for the Democratic Congress members and officials from California.

Pardon my ignorance (and I dare say that of a few others ;) ), but what the 4x is AFM process?

I feel the same way--and it isn't just this post. It's not uncommon on all of the forums that I visit to see someone asking
a question about a process or tool and using nothing but initials to describe it. A lot of the younger generation are lazy
and seem to use initials a lot--I think it has to do with the fact that it saves them time when texting. I guess "they" know
what the initials mean but for a lot of us older folk they might as well be talking in code.

A clear description and some pictures are always going to elicit better responses.

There, that feels better--got it off my chest...:D

The shop I work at uses AFM process a lot. So far we have manufactured temporary threads for connecting workpieces to our AFM machine, but I am looking for something faster, such as a connector that would either mechanically or hydraulically expand inside a hole. Unfortunately I am having little luck finding such connectors! If anybody knows a manufacturer, I'd appreciate the info.

Is this for Abrasive Flow Machining????
(Extrude honing???)

My first guess would be Abrasive Flow Machining, like Extrude Hone or whatever it's called.

Edit: Doug beat me to the punch. SMHWTFLMAO :D

Regarding the problem at hand, there are lots of fasteners that will expand inside a hole. It's the collapsing that's going to give you grief.

Sorry for being lazy. It does stands for abrasive flow machining (where gray goo with tiny particles flow through drilled holes and intersections deburring and smoothing everything in its path).

Mechanically expanding fasteners? Look at concrete or masonry anchors for inspiration. Simplest may be a lag screw and expanding shield.

How big a hole and what pressures. An expanding rubber cork with a cam lock lever comes to mind. Cherne makes expanding test plugs for pipes. the bigger sizes have a tube through to both sides.
Bil lD.

The bores are 1-2 inches in diameter, straight walls. I was thinking of a shop-made solution but would like to check availability first.

Push a rubber plug (or an o-ring, or a u-cup) onto a tapered hollow mandrel. Depending on media pressure, a secondary jig may be required to constrain the axial thrust.

You can get internal handrail connectors, they come in a fair few sizes too. Not sure it will do what you want, but its worth a look.

Search for expanding pins. Carrlane is one manufacturer. They could be made in-house if desired. I am having difficulties posting links or I would add one.

Sounds to me like an expanding collet would be the ticket. Look on you tube for Rovi collets. They go from about 5/16 dia to 6 inch dia.

Perhaps you need to explain in more detail what you want to do. Is this coupling a customer's device to your system? How were the threads used? If these are used in the honing process, are they single use?

Tom

What's AFM? What a bunch of dunces. First Google result for AFM = Atomic Force Microscopy.

Atomic force microscopy - Wikipedia

What could be simpler.

A connector that expands? Connector? Mechanical connector? Electrical connector? Hydraulic connector? Pneumatic connector? Vacuun connector? Or WHAT?????????

Would a pop rivet work? It expands inside a hole. Fairly cheap too. They have holes so a fluid or gas could flow through them. And they are conductive metal so they could conduct electric currents. Sounds universal to me. One connector fits all.

To use a phrase
From my military days,

WTF, Over!

Back