What's new
What's new

Considering starrett 657 aa mag base

Discrepancyform

Plastic
I have a good hydraulic noga and an off brand flex arm but I've been wanting something a little less cumbersome than the noga but steadier than the flex. Is the starrett good at sneaking into small spaces, and how well does it hold up to being dropped? Just asking because, um, my clumsy co-worker wanted me to add it in.
Cheers

I have that 657aa for 45 years and use it a lot but never thought of it as being able to “sneak into small spaces” and I certainly wouldn’t want to drop it.

A couple decades ago i bought a Starrett 657T with the "flexi-post" arm at an auction and love it; though others have joshed about getting something "more rigid" on here. :) It will sneak in anywhere, from about anywhere reasonable, with a DTI. Maybe a bit less reliable with a long travel plunger indicator, as the force is higher on an arm with long extension.

That said, I had import mag bases before, and the Starrett magnet itself was/is a vast disappointment in holding power.

smt

A couple decades ago i bought a Starrett 657T with the "flexi-post" arm at an auction and love it; though others have joshed about getting something "more rigid" on here. :) It will sneak in anywhere, from about anywhere reasonable, with a DTI. Maybe a bit less reliable with a long travel plunger indicator, as the force is higher on an arm with long extension.

That said, I had import mag bases before, and the Starrett magnet itself was/is a vast disappointment in holding power.

smt

The " Flexi-Post " type are fine just as long as you haven't got a touch like an angry rhino ! I'm sure you haven't Stephen but I've had to repair several of those that were broken by ham fisted operators.

Regards Tyrone.

I have that 657aa for 45 years and use it a lot but never thought of it as being able to “sneak into small spaces” and I certainly wouldn’t want to drop it.

Same here, I've had mine for going on 30 years. I love it!
The Noga is good too,our lathe guys love them,but I prefer my Starrett.
Although the Noga has that fine adjust knob which is really nice.

Back