What's new
What's new

OT- tool box for next job

racen857

Hot Rolled
Here is list of boxes I am looking at.

Comparison Assistant!

My goal is to build myself a work station. I am looking at putting a 12x18 or 18x18 surface plate on top of the box, so I don't have to go far to the inspection room OR wait in line to use one. I have or I am getting my basic inspection equipment. 0-6 outside mic set, 0-12 depth mic, 1.5-8 inch bore mic, height gage with a 2 inch travel dial indicator, 8 inch dial caliper. My employer will pay to have any tools I bring in certified to meet ISO9000 standards.

Do any of you have any of these boxes? Provide any insight on them.

Any help will nice and I will be very thankful for it.

Where are they made?

Do you think you could haul off and kick one or any of them, without hurting yourself? How solidly are they built? Reason I ask is that I think more in terms of man space interior decorator items, when looking at tool boxes at the box stores.

Are the wheels gonna fall off the first time one hits a blockage (chip, crack in the floor, etc.) while being moved? Good casters are expensive, eh?

Watch the weight ratings of the draw sliders. Another place that money gets saved. Better a really solid built box with friction slides than a cheapo with cheap ball bearings.

Watch for an interlock on the draws. Interlock is a good thing when it works to keep all your draws from coming open from a slight tilt. Nothing says fun like trying to sort out a box that tipped because you went around a corner too fast, eh?

How's the Used market in your area? Beach, Kennedy, Vidmar, Rosseau, and a bunch of others make/made damn good products that last.

YMMV. :) Just some pondering.

Cheers
Trev

Good advise above. IF I was going for this brand I would go for the largest.

It depends on how you store tools, but one thing I look for is how far the drawers open up. Some of them stop 1-2 inches short. My Kennedy opens past the drawer above. Nice for small stuff at the back or if you keep things in boxes stacked tight together.
The black kobalt looks like a Waterloo part #. I have a 15 drawer Kennedy that size and it's a better box but probably twice as expensive. Even on the mac we have at work that top full width drawer is a little shakey (short bearing slides and wide drawer)
I haven't seen International brand yet.
Dave

The second kobalt and the first international with drawer eight ratings of 50 lbs and 75 lbs are toys at best even the heavier two with 100 lbs drawer ratings are pretty light weight to be called industreal. as an exsample a Montezuma box of similar capacity has the following rating "All slides are rated at 250 lbs per pair and larger drawers have duel sets". Also the cheaper boxes will have a very cheap castor which will make moving the box loaded a tricky proposition. Drawers that latch shut are nice as well

Back