What's new
What's new

Convert injection mold clamp to shop press advise please

Planebuilder150

Plastic
I have a clamping unit from a Nissei 120 ton injection molding machine. I want to stand it up on end, and use it as a press for forming aluminum parts.
I know it will be slow because I will be feeding it with a smaller hydraulic pump that it originally had, but it should have lots of force.
I have built presses with standard cylinders with 2 ports per cylinder, but this one is a bit confusing.
It has a high speed cylinder and a high power cylinder, in one unit. It seems to have 3 pressure lines, ports 1,2 &4 in the pic. Port 3 seems to be a low pressure drain back to the tank?
Any advice on connecting this to a hydraulic power pack would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 4 post schematic.jpg
    4 post schematic.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 4 press top.jpg
    4 press top.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 4 post press.jpg
    4 post press.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 86
I have a clamping unit from a Nissei 120 ton injection molding machine. I want to stand it up on end, and use it as a press for forming aluminum parts.
I know it will be slow because I will be feeding it with a smaller hydraulic pump that it originally had, but it should have lots of force.
I have built presses with standard cylinders with 2 ports per cylinder, but this one is a bit confusing.
It has a high speed cylinder and a high power cylinder, in one unit. It seems to have 3 pressure lines, ports 1,2 &4 in the pic. Port 3 seems to be a low pressure drain back to the tank?
Any advice on connecting this to a hydraulic power pack would be appreciated.

Your scan of the diagram has chopped off some needed parts, and I don't see the numbering of the ports on it.

however, it looks like a couple of cylinders (both double acting) each with a common rod. And all 4 ports are separate.

Should be easy enough to draw a schematic how you want it to run.

Thanks, sorry for the delay, crazy times. Here is the full drawing. I don't fully understand how I can feed the big cyl while the small one is extending it?

Attachments

• DSCF7573.jpg
    DSCF7573.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 72
I'm no hydraulics whiz, but doesn't fluid just feed from one side of the large cylinder to the other during the small cyl/fast advance part of the stroke? Then the mechanism in the large piston closes via pressure from the third port, maybe in response to a pressure rise, and then the large piston feed provides the full clamp pressure.

Thanks, sorry for the delay, crazy times. Here is the full drawing. I don't fully understand how I can feed the big cyl while the small one is extending it?

I think it is drawing it from the "return to tank" circuit.

The little one (is the fast one) is pushing the large one (going along for the ride to the part) needs oil, get's it from tank.

I think they call it regen the oil goes to the opposite side of cyl under no load conditions when it build pressure it switches over to just the pump
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back