What's new
What's new

Converting hydraulic bottle jack to power pac

CalG

Diamond
I've got a small frame shop press with a bottle jack . 20 ton IIRC Typical auto shop (blue paint)

I also have a fairly nice self contained hydraulic power pack. (motor pump and reservoir as a package, came off a warehouse stacker)

Is there a best way to marry the two? I'm not really enamoured with "spring retract", but could put up with it if needed.

At first pass, it would seem that the check valve and bleed screw are the key points.

Oh! And getting the fluid back into the pump reservoir... Just a dump hose from the fill port? ;-)

I think I'd invest in a better cylinder rather than waste a lot of time on a low-dollar jack--you'll be a
lot further ahead...

It's not a "low dollar" jack

I gave that clue in the "blue color". But it is still a hand pumped bottle jack regardless.

Are you suggesting I go out an purchase a more expensive bottle jack to convert?

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Hmm A 20 ton cylinder is going to be a fat one... at least at normal 3ksi pressures.....

Leads?

First off, what pressure do you have with your pump? A jack runs up to 10K PSI.

If your pump is 10K pick up a cheap portopower cylinder from Horrible Fright or some such.

If it is a lower pressure then you are gonna need about a 5" bore at 2.5K.

Ed.

It's not a "low dollar" jack,,,I gave that clue in the "blue color".

So WTF does "blue color" mean? North America is a big place. Up here Princess Auto sells a line of bottle
jacks that are "blue colour". They're farm grade at best. The last two I've had have failed so I'm done with
them.

I still think you'll be way ahead buying a cylinder with all the proper fittings...

Back