What's new
What's new

Converting old dro scales for use with new readout

safarihelo

Plastic
I bought a mill with existing scales but no dro. The existing plugs are a 7 pin round type ( see Picture) . Most all of the newer readouts use a serial type connection. Is it possible that i could get these old scales to work just by changing the plugs? any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_6195.jpg

What brand/model scales are these? What kind of display are you trying to use?

AFAIK, each manufacturer has their own way of building scales, so in general you can't plug any scale into any display even if you solder new plugs on. That said, if these are acu-rite, you can buy an adapter to plug the old round connectors into the new parallel ports on the new controls.

Unfortunately i cant tell what brand they are. Dont see anything written on them anywhere. The other issue is that they are longer scales and dont appear to be that common. The x is 48in long and the y is 24.

You'll need to know the pinout (supply voltage etc.) , resolution (um/step) , and whether the output is analogue (i.e. a sine wave) or TTL , differential or single ended.

TTL output scales are easiest to re use. Most of the generic head units will have adjustable options for resolution and accept various TTL inputs (e.g. one end of a differential pair) , some may accept a sine input (which will usually be just counted , not resolved so may reduce the working resolution)

Collect as much information as possible about the scales and proposed head unit and ask again :-)

Bill

Since the scales have no markings It sounds like i dont have much way to find that information. Thanks for trying to help.

Perhaps post a picture of the scale and the connector in a assembled state and some dimensions
Its a 7 pin and most have only 6 pins Thats a recognizable feature
Someone might recognize them

Peter

Mitutoyo used 7 pin round connectors at one time, I have a surface grinder with such. Long obsolete, when my counter died I got no joy from Mit... ended up buying a used counter on ebay.
Dennis

How about some photos of the scales and reader head? If they're commonly used scales like an Acu-Rite, there are companies that make short cables that adapt the round connectors to the DB-9 used by modern displays. Maybe remove the scales from the machine, and the back side may have stayed protected enough to retain some decals/markings.

Last edited:

Back