What's new
What's new

Cool suits/vests

rbmgf7

Aluminum
We're a manufacturing facility and half of our facility is not climate controlled. We can help the stationary employees with fans and iced beverages but the people working the stock room move around all the time and are unable to stay cool. They're not young employees either which makes them more susceptible to heat related injuries.

I Googled cool suits and came across various vests that hold ice packs. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I see they make versions that last 8-10 hours which would be ideal since we only run one shift.

Thanks.

No experience with them but I doubt they'd be viable on a daily basis, and of course ice is water which is heavy so not sure they'd be the best for old decrepit employees. But hell, you're in Missouri which is hardly hot, anyway...

Most of the cool suits/vests require a cooler packed with ice and a coil, a pump and lines to the vest. I first learned of them at the Walter Mitty races at Road Atlanta a decade ago or so. They’re great in that application... park the cooler where the passenger seat was and take 12V power from the vehicles charging system or from a battery.

More recently I did a Hollywood movie where the same vests were modified to allow “conquistador” actors to stay in leather tunics and plate armor. We put quick-disconnect hoses on the vests and, if memory serves, changed the batteries to Makita Li-Ion 18v. Even so the functionality was a combined effort between the wardrobe department and the AD department and there were several PA’s tasked with maintaining the coolers and keeping the batteries charged.

It’s a great idea, but the 20+ pounds of equipment as well as the regular maintenance required likely makes it less effective in a warehouse environment. For an employee to actually benefit they’re gonna spend a lot less time pulling orders for shipment.

I would suggest a couple of “Big Ass Fans” TM, or depending on WHERE your facility is, swamp coolers. Swamp coolers aren’t nearly as effective in areas with humidity... but in the desert they’re AWESOME!!! I worked at a shop in Las Vegas that had 12-15 swamp coolers mounted in the ceiling of a 100-125k sq. ft. building. We never ran them all. They were in three banks and I don’t remember ever more than two banks running and that shop was always pleasant. Far more so than the end of day sprint across the tarmac to your vehicle.

I know guys here in the south will use the Por-A-Cool evaporative chillers and claim they work... I’m dubious... I’m more likely to believe they’re insisting on as much after shelling out the cash.

I would think that a better solution would be fans... at the ceiling pulling UP and at the roof-ridge pulling OUT. Possibly fans horizontal at the level people are mostly working at to keep the air moving.

Jeremy

Are the warehouse employees on forklifts or other vehicles ?
or at least pushing a wheeled cart ?

Might be as simple as a 12v car battery on the bottom shelf of a cart, with a mini swamp cooler
on top (post mounted it you need room on the top shelf)

Missouri has a lot of humidity, at least compared to here SW Ks. no easy answer we have the same problem.

I had a cooler vest with a vortex tube to provide cooling. It worked extremely well but required a lot of compressed air. With the local humidity being high there was a problem with condensate dripping from the vest and soaking my pants.

I Googled cool suits and came across various vests that hold ice packs. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I see they make versions that last 8-10 hours which would be ideal since we only run one shift.

Thanks.

If someone wants to spend a little time sewing, you can buy a few of these: https://www.amazon.com/CryoMAX-Reusable-Therapy-Elbows-Medium/dp/B001QFZL1Q (or similar) and make your own test vest for fairly low bucks. If you like the results look at getting some of the professional vests, or put a local seamstress to work making more of your design.

Proper use of insulation and collection of condensation will be issues, you don't want drain tubes leaving slip-and-fall puddles on the ground.

Back