What's new
What's new

coolant

Super cutter

Plastic
I've been getting a few chest infections lately, think it might be the coolant in my surface grinder any ideas how to get rid of tramp oil ?

Attachments

• IMG_9784.jpg
    IMG_9784.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_9785.jpg
    IMG_9785.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 202
I've been getting a few chest infections lately, think it might be the coolant in my surface grinder any ideas how to get rid of tramp oil ?

Really? You think that cesspool you call coolant "might" be a problem? :rolleyes5:

Change coolant, skim it, clean (relatively speaking) your material before running it, filter paper, etc

Woah, that's nasty! Throw out all that coolant, thoroughly clean that tank and all pumps and tubes, start with fresh coolant and put a tramp oil skimmer on it. Change out coolant every six months.

Sadly my shop has only slightly better coolant quality... In some of the machines anyways. Some of the machines have skimmers but I looked and they can be $500+ (American here) I once had to pull out what was like animal fat/lard from a coolant tank once. Gloved up but that didn't last long. Some pieces were like taking a raw steak and then slapping it in this bucket I had.

The coolant we have is supposed to be white like paper, but it's somewhat green/yellow and or black. But it's usually a layer over the somewhat white coolant. You may have to hand skim what you can. Could take a shop vac and suck the top portion off... I've been wanting to try that on some of the machines with less then quality coolant. We normally use it to drain the tanks when it is deemed too far gone... I guess...

What Mike1974 and mhajicek said would be ideal, if you can do it.

Sadly my shop has only slightly better coolant quality... In some of the machines anyways. Some of the machines have skimmers but I looked and they can be $500+ (American here) I once had to pull out what was like animal fat/lard from a coolant tank once. Gloved up but that didn't last long. Some pieces were like taking a raw steak and then slapping it in this bucket I had.

The coolant we have is supposed to be white like paper, but it's somewhat green/yellow and or black. But it's usually a layer over the somewhat white coolant. You may have to hand skim what you can. Could take a shop vac and suck the top portion off... I've been wanting to try that on some of the machines with less then quality coolant. We normally use it to drain the tanks when it is deemed too far gone... I guess...

What Mike1974 and mhajicek said would be ideal, if you can do it.

I've done this. It is better than nothing/dealing with the stench and filth. I ran a grinder one time that no matter what after a week of non-use it was disgusting. I think the paint inside the tank (what was left anyhow) must have been infested with bacteria or something. :ack2:

Coolant seems to be one of the most neglected aspects in a busy shop. Top it off forever, but never really deal with the problem. :(

Holy crap! If you have not already developed it, you are in for a case of pneumocystitis. It should clear up once you remove the cause. Generally, grinding produces lots of mist. In essence, you are breathing that witches brew in your sump. Mold and mildew love warm dark areas to live, like your lungs. In addition to eukaryotic organisms such as fungi, old coolant can harbor fauna such as klebsiella and other nasties. CLEAN that tank! Flush it and refill with clean coolant. Most grinding coolants run pretty low concentrations, as you are looking for more cooling than lubrication. Low concentrations can contribute to accelerated growth of the microbes found everywhere. You may consider adding a biocide for control, even though that itself can bring its own health issues.

Man, what a mess. I played with the crap for a while. Started out with a few cap full of bleach. This was good but not like the quarter of a biscuit of pool chlorine. I never seen that sump so clean. Not me, with the help of the trained professionals here. I'm running straight oil. No more coughing or hacking. Bob

Yeah it is always a problem in a lot of places. No one wants to take the time. Best I have seen is when maintainence took on the job . They could come in whenever some machines were idle when that would occur.

You've got to watch out for whatever you put in there, too much chlorine, and your
breathing fumes from the chlorine.

All of the above is good info, especially about cleaning the mess up. Another little trick we used was to lay cotton cloths across the return channel so the coolant would pass thru the cotton. It would do a pretty good job of soaking up the oil and still allow the coolant to pass thru to the filter system. We would change the cloths daily. Good luck.

JH

Stay away from adding chlorine. That makes disposing ( legally ) of your coolant much more problematical.

Last edited:

Back