What's new
What's new

Coolant compatible with ebonite (vulcanized hard rubber)

jgrasty

Aluminum
I cut a lot of ebonite on both of my machines (Mazak QTU-200MSY and Brother Speedio S700X1) and I'm really tired of having to clean the machines every time I need to cut aluminum or brass and use coolant. I currently use Blaser BC940, which isn't compatible with ebonite. Traditionally, soapy water was used for cutting ebonite, but that's not really practical for CNC.

Ebonite releases about 1% free sulfur when cut, so the coolant would have to be robust to the added sulfur.

I have an inquiry out to Master Fluid Solution, as Trim 9106 is claimed to be compatible with rubber, plastics, aluminum, and brass. If anyone is using Trim 9106 for this purpose, I would like to get your observations. The complication is Yamazen says I should not use synthetic coolants in the Speedio.

I'm open to any and all ideas. I'll be using a fine metal screen to keep most of the ebonite chips out of the coolant tank, but the fine dust and sulfur will definitely get into the coolant.

Ebonite is an unusual material to machine these days, I guess.

Does anyone have any comment regarding synthetic coolants and the Brother Speedio? Safe or not?

After contacting a couple of coolant companies, Fuchs got back to me with an ebonite compatible coolant, Ecocool 7830 B and a recommendation to run it at 5%. I'm giving it a try in a few weeks; will report back.

Back