What's new
What's new

Coolant MQL - Fogless Coolant Mister and Lube for forming tap

UptownSport

Cast Iron
I'm parting 6061 1.125 HSS blade
I've had success using cutting oil (generic gallon threading oil) but would rather attempt air based coolant, if it's possible.
I need to avoid smells and any type of 'fog' or 'mist' in the room.

First, can these types of mister coolants do the job of keeping a parting operation cool?
Parting has always been demanding- It required much oil, applied quickly to be successful.

If mist type is sufficient, is there a link for a primer on these systems? I'm doing runs of a few dozen items, so we're not talking high end here.

Next, I use a 5/8 - 18 form tap (.602 reamer IIRC). I used the same generic bigbox thread cutting oil. I have used specialty aluminum tapping compounds, but had problems removing the product after the operation.
Is there anything different you could suggest, that, again, is odorless and easy on the room? I'm assuming the mister wouldn't be appropriate here?

Last, thanks again for all the advice you've given over the years- You've 'unstuck' me several times and helped bring value to my customers.

Check out Unist's 2210AL. Unist Product: Coolube(R) 2210AL

We started using their 2210EP (Extreme Pressure, for steel) in a bandsaw. It works great! It uses an intermittent pulse applicator instead of a steady, room-fogging spray and there is no cleanup except for a light film that wipes off easily. Use it in their applicator. You only need a tiny squirt every few seconds.

I then started using it for hand tapping. Surprise! It worked great for that too.

It smells like popcorn too. :D

Edit: No affiliation with Unist. Just a happy customer.

Last edited:
Vegetable oil that can be breathed in may be a cause for concern. The material used to make butter flavored popcorn was safe to eat but caused "popcorn lung disease" in movie house employees. Then vitamin E oil in vaping caused havoc. I would be cautious about this product. It would seem if you can breath in some of an oil mist you are better off using a mineral oil. Seems counter intuitive does it not?

The best solution is ventilation.

4" pvc pipe, dryer vent on outside wall.
Use an old cloths dryer fan, or if a short run, a simple computer muffin fan.

Thanks for the replies!
WILCO Digger, extend a vent hose right to the tool area- Great idea.
Sure, WD-40, but bit of an odor, eh?
Got it on the EP mix, thanks.

Fred, a 'mister' or a 'droplet dispenser' with this mineral oil will keep a parting operation cool enough??? I just want to be clear- Vividly recall snapping blades before I knew what I was doing ...

A mister similar to this:
10445k11p1-g02a-digital@4x_637032205982785286.png
1.2 gph @ 30 psi Switch 60 1 __ 7 1/4" Flexible Acetal Plastic 1 1/2" 20-140 3 1/4 ft. 1,110 __ 10445K11 122.25

Thanks again!

A mister similar to this:
View attachment 293437
1.2 gph @ 30 psi Switch 60 1 __ 7 1/4" Flexible Acetal Plastic 1 1/2" 20-140 3 1/4 ft. 1,110 __ 10445K11 122.25

Thanks again!

No don't! I've tried those and I was not impressed in the least.

Get a Unist. I can't say enough good things about them. Even Amada Marvel (the bandsaw mfg) says they will only put Unist on their saws. They stopped using Tri-Co a few years ago.

Unist Product: Coolubricator™

Fred, a 'mister' or a 'droplet dispenser' with this mineral oil will keep a parting operation cool enough??? I just want to be clear- Vividly recall snapping blades before I knew what I was doing ...

Thanks again!
On my lathe operations I always use flood systems with Mobil Met cutting oils. I do use a a really old Trico unit on the small CNC mills with their MD7 synthetic lube (This gallon container is probably 10 to 15 years old). Whether it would work on a cutoff with something as gummy as imported 6061, I do not know. I would guess it would but that is a guess. There was a thread about vegetable oil to be used in a mister and he was strongly advised against it because vaping lung ailments had just hit the news cycle (about 6 months ago).
Whether the Unist vegetable oil has been engineered to positively eliminate the hazard is unknown to me, just be cautious and ask questions. Smelling like buttered popcorn is scary to me.
A properly applied flood of cutting oil with proper splash shields produce little to no mist. Check out this video for splash mist: YouTube The only time I get a fog in the shop is using the old trico. The CNC lathes run many times the hours and do not oil up the shop windows or anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks all- I'll do a little experimenting-
If you don't hear back you'll know the fluid got me.

if no joy parting; the $5 oil can and gallon sized pipe cutting fluid work- fact.

I've already started the 'Digger Mod' on the room. Awesome idea- Thanks again!

Back