What's new
What's new

Coolant in my hydraulic tank

Rogue_Machinist

Hot Rolled
So today as I was turning a rather large piece of inconel I noticed my DMC DL-30 CNC Lathe started making the noise the chuck makes when clamping. I thought it was the coolant maybe getting low because that pump has the same sound sometimes. Well low and behold I go check the coolant level to make sure its not low and notice Coolant pouring out of the back of my machine. I stopped the machine immediately and even with the coolant pump no longer running, the coolant was still pouring out of the back of the machine. And I just happened to look at my hydraulic fluid sight glass and its all coolant.

There is no visible leaks other than the aforementioned one. But no where else on the machine!
The only place I can think of that has both hydraulic fluid and coolant is the turret. Anything else I should be looking for?

Check the Turret coolant inducer. Not sure about your model, but on our Mori's this happens often. The mechanism that routes the coolant in to the turret uses a hydraulic piston to disengage before the turret indexes. If your o-rings are shot there is a path for the coolant to leak in to the hydraulic return line.

Check the Turret coolant inducer. Not sure about your model, but on our Mori's this happens often. The mechanism that routes the coolant in to the turret uses a hydraulic piston to disengage before the turret indexes. If your o-rings are shot there is a path for the coolant to leak in to the hydraulic return line.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to replace that O ring?

On ours, really easy. 4 bolts to pull of the block and slide the inducer out of the turret, and then an end cap. Standard metric o-rings. 20 min job.

Back