What's new
What's new

Coolant pump depth?

josephk

Aluminum
I have a coolant tank that measures 28" x 18" and is 7" tall, but the pump suction is at 2" from the top, does this make sense?
i cant get it to work, a couple of minutes after turning on all the top coolant will get accumulated and i have no flow.

FYI machine is a matsuura MC1000.

DSC03469.jpg

I have a coolant tank that measures 28" x 18" and is 7" tall, but the pump suction is at 2" from the top, does this make sense?
i cant get it to work, a couple of minutes after turning on all the top coolant will get accumulated and i have no flow.

FYI machine is a matsuura MC1000.

View attachment 251409
No. If there's one thing a pump wants it's positive suction head, you want it as deep in the sump as possible.

Are you sure it's the original pump?

I'm not sure, it's made in tokyo japan, and the paint is in a similar condition as the rest of the machine(1980),
the pump measures 7" from the flange to the bottom but there is a 4" spacer above the tank, i wonder if it's original?

Is it possible there used to be a filter attached to the end of it that would extend it down into the tank, that is now missing?

I have a few tanks with that type of pump I always keep a spare, they stop working every now and then, but are still spinning.

Alway thought that maybe a phase is down and its not spinning at full speed?

You don't give us an end view - is it just a paddle rotor on the end of the motor shaft? They usually have a gauze filter over them. (I had one in a grinder tank once that still span nicely but the paddle rotor was so worn away nothing happened !)

Is it that the coolant returning to the tank is far too slow for some reason?

How is it when you've freshly cleaned the swarf out? Must be pretty solidly packed to slow the coolant so much.

2" of liquid in the tank is around 4 gallons, the hose itself will take 3/4 of a gallon in it, do you know of any vmc that loops just 3 gallons?

How is it when you've freshly cleaned the swarf out? Must be pretty solidly packed to slow the coolant so much.

The way this machine was built, the coolant has to go through quite a large surface area before getting down to the tank, i don't remember how clean it was when i tried it a couple of years ago, i used mist coolant till now, i would to try it again and if i have to modify the tank i would rather do it before i fill it up.

Back