Coolant squirt bottle? Is there anything out there that works properly??
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coolant squirt bottle? Is there anything out there that works properly??

Anybody find a decent coolant squirt bottle? I use them fairly often on drill press and manual lathe. And most of them are junk. Ive tried all sorts from hardware/home stores. Bought 3-4 types from mcmaster carr and they are slightly better but still garbage. Loose their prime, only get half a squirt or less. So frustrating.

Anything out there in a decent quality squirt bottle? Something with metal pump parts maybe? Tempted to make my own but seems like such a waste of time. must be something out there that works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a bunch of these I use for all kinds of stuff in the shop. Coolant, solvents, oil, gasoline(for small engines), etc.

Thermo Scientific™ Nalgene™ Wide-Mouth Unitary™ Wash Bottles | U.S. Plastic Corp.

3. Likes Cipra Cycles, sfriedberg, boslab, 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

X2 on Blazemasters, ..they (or an invertible) are the only type of squirt bottle worth having

Or cheap out and use empty washing up liqid bottles .................they've served British industry since their inception

5. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use old Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Mayo bottles, or similar

Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Mayo

7. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For long use with a pressure sprayer I would suggest a Hudson sprayer AKA garden sprayer.

Fill half way and pump, it will last several minutes constant use. Make a longer hose with a adjustable segmented spout, think lineloc and a mag base or spring clamp.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

oil-1.jpgoil-2.jpg

I use traditional oil cans and old spray bottles. As already mentioned old sauce and washing up bottles,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy Pump spray bottle printed, unfilled online

I've found these are the answer for most liquid spray applications. They are super expensive compared to any basic spray bottle (something like £30 each), but they are resistant to everything I've put in them so far including solvents. Plunger pump compresses air in the bottle, trigger is a simple diaphragm valve.

Never had to replace one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what do you mean by junk? that they dont last 30 years? i find almost anything works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The yellow and blue, is it Zep? spray bottles last a while.

13. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear contact lenses so I just use the empty saline solution bottles.

15. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Anybody find a decent coolant squirt bottle? I use them fairly often on drill press and manual lathe. And most of them are junk. Ive tried all sorts from hardware/home stores. Bought 3-4 types from mcmaster carr and they are slightly better but still garbage. Loose their prime, only get half a squirt or less. So frustrating.

Anything out there in a decent quality squirt bottle? Something with metal pump parts maybe? Tempted to make my own but seems like such a waste of time. must be something out there that works.
    You want "metal pump parts" with coolant ?

How about the pipe threader one ?
    Steel Dragon Tools(R) 72327 Hose and Gun Oiler fits RIDGID(R) 418 Oil Bucket 10833 | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always used an old 20oz plastic Coke bottle, pop a hole in the cap and squirt away.
    But it sounds like you want the type that holds pressure? I've no experience with those types to be honest.

18. Likes paulz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Nalgene wash bottles mentioned by Blazemaster are nice but they tend to drip if you don't loosen the cap. Any rise in temperature in the shop and the internal pressure goes up enough to force anything out. I keep one by the lathe for deep cutoff operations where I really want a lot of lube down in the slot but I have to remember to loosen the cap when done. For milling and cutting AL, any old used spray bottle will work with your juice of choice. I keep a quart sized Shure-Shot full of WD40 for hosing things down. They are a bit pricey but have been around for years and I think of them as the original refillable aerosol can. A few cans of brake cleaner and carb cleaner seem to be very handy for quickly de-greasing something you are working on. They run sales on them for a buck a can from time to time and I stock up. Very handy. You kind of have to watch out for the brake cleaner as it will dissolve some things unexpectedly but the carb cleaner seems to be fairly benign. Honestly for me, the most dependable system is a cup full of high sulfur cutting oil and a chip brush. Always works, always goes where you want it.

20. Likes awander liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really want a simple trigger spray bottle like the one pictured below. Ive had best luck with these. But they still loose their prime and take 4-5 pumps to get going again. After 3 pumps with no fluid delivered my parting tool might be toast lol.

Problem gets much worse when bottle is less then half full. Wont seem to empty bottle at all. Always runs out when its 1/4 full. Trigger is really spongy and only get half squirt. Replace sprayer and same thing again after a few months. Just wish I could buy a quality unit and didnt need to be replaced every couple months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Really want a simple trigger spray bottle like the one pictured below. Ive had best luck with these. But they still loose their prime and take 4-5 pumps to get going again. After 3 pumps with no fluid delivered my parting tool might be toast lol.

Problem gets much worse when bottle is less then half full. Wont seem to empty bottle at all. Always runs out when its 1/4 full. Trigger is really spongy and only get half squirt. Replace sprayer and same thing again after a few months. Just wish I could buy a quality unit and didnt need to be replaced every couple months.
    Parting off needs flood coolant.

Simply rig up a bucket, and a small fountain pump.
    Hose leading to a magnet, valve, and loc line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rubbermaid.
    You want the Rubbermaid squirt bottle. I've used all kinds, nothing beats it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-32.../dp/B00LAV9T8M

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ZEP spray bottle from Home Depot- they last almost forever. As noted above.

25. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just take whatever bottle is nearby and poke a hole in the cap with an awl and stuff in some 1/8" pneumatic tubing leaving 4-6" hanging out the top. When it dies, or I lose it, I just make a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Water or oil. .....
    I love and hate coolant in both forms.
    Good ole oil cans and Zep bottles for me.
    Sometimes one needs a third hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brownells used to sell some that were highly chemical resistant and lasted.