What's new
What's new

Coolant squirt bottle? Is there anything out there that works properly??

mmurray70

Stainless
Anybody find a decent coolant squirt bottle? I use them fairly often on drill press and manual lathe. And most of them are junk. Ive tried all sorts from hardware/home stores. Bought 3-4 types from mcmaster carr and they are slightly better but still garbage. Loose their prime, only get half a squirt or less. So frustrating.

Anything out there in a decent quality squirt bottle? Something with metal pump parts maybe? Tempted to make my own but seems like such a waste of time. must be something out there that works.

X2 on Blazemasters, ..they (or an invertible) are the only type of squirt bottle worth having

Or cheap out and use empty washing up liqid bottles .................they've served British industry since their inception :D

Buy Pump spray bottle printed, unfilled online

I've found these are the answer for most liquid spray applications. They are super expensive compared to any basic spray bottle (something like £30 each), but they are resistant to everything I've put in them so far including solvents. Plunger pump compresses air in the bottle, trigger is a simple diaphragm valve.

Never had to replace one yet.

what do you mean by junk? that they dont last 30 years? i find almost anything works.

Anybody find a decent coolant squirt bottle? I use them fairly often on drill press and manual lathe. And most of them are junk. Ive tried all sorts from hardware/home stores. Bought 3-4 types from mcmaster carr and they are slightly better but still garbage. Loose their prime, only get half a squirt or less. So frustrating.

Anything out there in a decent quality squirt bottle? Something with metal pump parts maybe? Tempted to make my own but seems like such a waste of time. must be something out there that works.

You want "metal pump parts" with coolant ?

How about the pipe threader one ?
Steel Dragon Tools(R) 72327 Hose and Gun Oiler fits RIDGID(R) 418 Oil Bucket 10833 | eBay

I've always used an old 20oz plastic Coke bottle, pop a hole in the cap and squirt away.
But it sounds like you want the type that holds pressure? I've no experience with those types to be honest.

The Nalgene wash bottles mentioned by Blazemaster are nice but they tend to drip if you don't loosen the cap. Any rise in temperature in the shop and the internal pressure goes up enough to force anything out. I keep one by the lathe for deep cutoff operations where I really want a lot of lube down in the slot but I have to remember to loosen the cap when done. For milling and cutting AL, any old used spray bottle will work with your juice of choice. I keep a quart sized Shure-Shot full of WD40 for hosing things down. They are a bit pricey but have been around for years and I think of them as the original refillable aerosol can. A few cans of brake cleaner and carb cleaner seem to be very handy for quickly de-greasing something you are working on. They run sales on them for a buck a can from time to time and I stock up. Very handy. You kind of have to watch out for the brake cleaner as it will dissolve some things unexpectedly but the carb cleaner seems to be fairly benign. Honestly for me, the most dependable system is a cup full of high sulfur cutting oil and a chip brush. Always works, always goes where you want it.

Really want a simple trigger spray bottle like the one pictured below. Ive had best luck with these. But they still loose their prime and take 4-5 pumps to get going again. After 3 pumps with no fluid delivered my parting tool might be toast lol.

Problem gets much worse when bottle is less then half full. Wont seem to empty bottle at all. Always runs out when its 1/4 full. Trigger is really spongy and only get half squirt. Replace sprayer and same thing again after a few months. Just wish I could buy a quality unit and didnt need to be replaced every couple months.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 40
Really want a simple trigger spray bottle like the one pictured below. Ive had best luck with these. But they still loose their prime and take 4-5 pumps to get going again. After 3 pumps with no fluid delivered my parting tool might be toast lol.

Problem gets much worse when bottle is less then half full. Wont seem to empty bottle at all. Always runs out when its 1/4 full. Trigger is really spongy and only get half squirt. Replace sprayer and same thing again after a few months. Just wish I could buy a quality unit and didnt need to be replaced every couple months.

Parting off needs flood coolant.

Simply rig up a bucket, and a small fountain pump.
Hose leading to a magnet, valve, and loc line.

Rubbermaid.
You want the Rubbermaid squirt bottle. I've used all kinds, nothing beats it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-32oz-Heavy-Duty-Spray-Bottle/dp/B00LAV9T8M

I just take whatever bottle is nearby and poke a hole in the cap with an awl and stuff in some 1/8" pneumatic tubing leaving 4-6" hanging out the top. When it dies, or I lose it, I just make a new one.

Back