What's new
What's new

Coolants for Copper

beege

Stainless
Hi,

I'm working currently with CIMCOOL 540. We have and a dramatic increase in milling of copper (C11000), and a small amount of brass. The coolant reacts with the copper, turning the coolant into shades of blue, like Ty-D-Bowl. It also has corrosive effects on my aluminum fixtures.

My query is: If you are machining copious amounts of copper, what coolant do you use, in what concentrations, and what have been your observations with whatever coolant you DO use...

TIA

Brian

I use Blaser Blasocut BC940 with their Additive M22 to prevent the coolant from changing color and prevent discoloration of copper and brass.

We use a Houghton product Hocut 7060 @ 7-10% mixture. This coolant is designed for "Red" metals. It also will turn green over time from the copper but that is all we machine.
Brandon

In the past the traditional medium for machining copper was kerosene. It improves the machining and finish and keeps the copper nice and bright.
When I was working (a few decades ago) in a large company making optical instruments and lenses, methanol was used as lubricant/coolant to machine brass. Provides a great finish and leaves the parts totally clean.

Back