What's new
What's new

Looking for an inserted OD grooving tool for .020” snap ring groove

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

I have a part to run in 1/8” 303, making a .020” wide x .017” deep groove near one end, then pushing the stock out and parting off @ .625”. My Kennametal NG2 only goes down to .031”. Looking for something that goes down to .020”. Quantity is 100’s so would like something using inserts.

I’d be running these in my Mori Seiki SL-2B. Obviously this is more of a Swiss job, but this came to me from a shop with a Swiss-ish machine so here I am :o.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Thanks, that would be perfect! Now to find a supplier that doesn’t make me buy 10x $35 inserts :crazy:.

Regards.

Mike

How many seconds to grind your own from larger insert.. yeah you needed more than one but less than full box :cool:

I like that the Nikcole system has 2 cutting edges per insert. Also they groove deeper than the others, so you can use them to part off smaller diameters.

I never get chatter from them, for whatever reason- that's something I occasionally have to fight with top-notch grooving.

heres a pdf file if it uploads I use the inserts all the time on my omniturn Miyano, citizen even on my 10" chuck machine
I have the regular square bars and the round 5/8 muliti bars ( the round multibar is great for my 10" chuck machine cause I can do to ops with one station.

gooving down to .010. thread cutting turning etc etc inserts may seem expensive but the run thousands of parts on my Citizen, the inserts are stong as hell and cut much free'r than a toplock or topnotch

sorry pdf wont load go to link

[url=https://omni-turn.com/]OmniTurn CNC Lathes, Gang Tooling, Replacement Parts, Left hand turning tool
goto tooling cat.

About 45-120 seconds in the grinder per edge or tip depending on stock but there is the one to two hours in setup and other processing overhead which makes a 1 or 2 piece run expensive.
Bob

I was thinking more of diamond wheel in bench grinder where it is about 10 seconds setup and the time is spent mostly repeatedly measuring and sneaking to correct size.
I have collection of mgmn200 type inserts ground to anything from 0.4mm and up.

I was thinking more of diamond wheel in bench grinder where it is about 10 seconds setup and the time is spent mostly repeatedly measuring and sneaking to correct size.
I have collection of mgmn200 type inserts ground to anything from 0.4mm and up.

How much time to use such and take a .125 wide tool down to .020 and nail a few tenths on your bench grinder?
For me the overhead also includes cleaning and packing the parts, processing the invoice and PO and sending it out so my overhead is more than the making.
This is the joy of doing it yourself, all of these cost do not exist.
Bob

Back