What's new
What's new

Cordless rotary tool

battery type is important
NiCad or NiMH batteries i think of like a leaking water bucket. once off the charger the batteries loose power doing nothing and do not hold much power even when fully charged
even lithium batteries come in different sizes usually the bigger and more expensive hold more watts for longer use between charging

battery type is important
NiCad or NiMH batteries i think of like a leaking water bucket. once off the charger the batteries loose power doing nothing and do not hold much power even when fully charged
even lithium batteries come in different sizes usually the bigger and more expensive hold more watts for longer use between charging

We don't mind replacing batteries as they go to shit. I'm more concerned with the quality of the device. I don't think the Dremel even has bearings. It has enough run out to use as an egg beater.

The Milwaukee or Proxxon might be a slight step ahead of the Dremel.

Personally, I don't understand the attraction of a cordless rotary tool. How many folks use them at the top of a ladder?

Usually used at a bench, the corded versions aren't much of a hassle. I have half a dozen electric die grinders hanging from a wall mounted swing arm, each loaded with a different wheel or point. Cords aren't in the way. Tools are ready to go to work just by grabbing them.

Better yet -- a 1/8" air die grinder with a small super flex hose can reach 25' without much hassle, weigh less than a tool with a battery, have near zero run out, and never run out of juice (assuming the compressor stays up).

But if you teach your engineers and ID guys to make BRRRR, WHIRR, ZIPPP noises as they wave them about, maybe the little cordless Dremels (or Milwaukee, Proxxon, etc.) can pretend they're CNC operated?? Knowing how you love CNC and all . . . :-).

Hmm, seen that Bosch grinder on visit to a surplus and deal event at a major industrial supplier in town. Supply co clearing some surplus out and inviting its partners and vendors to set up their booth and sell tools at nice prices. Pretty good show.

That cordless grinder however....not impressive. In fact...BAD. May have just been the sales model, been dropped too often and all that, but it was vibrating well beyond what might be considered normal. Definitely worse than an old 1990s made in USA corded Dremel, which is pretty good. Much worse. Really bad in fact. Based on that display unit, i would totally not recommend it. And since my friend told me they had the same thing last year....i don't really want to believe it's just that unit. No sane salesman would keep a bad unit for years as his show machine. Probably some outsourced crap inside. Bosch blue is good stuff in general, but everyone makes a mistake, once in a while...

Proxxon doesn't make battery powered die grinders.Though you could buy one of the low voltage units and feed it from a 12v battery through a chopper circuit, that would be a homebrew solution and not what boss man wants to hear.
And the low voltage ones are not that good anyways, only the big mains power ones are better than a Dremel.

I suggest you find a vendor who actually has the Bosch Grinder in stock, perhaps my salesman is just too bloody stupid to have a proper unit on display, i donÄt want to believe that Bosch would dare sell such crap in their blue/professional line (the good stuff you don't get at home despot type places).
Ask to try it, hear it run, fondle its parts ;) . If they don't like it, tell em what i said. Have a look at it...or no purchase.
Buyer beware, be careful.

The Milwaukee or Proxxon might be a slight step ahead of the Dremel.

Personally, I don't understand the attraction of a cordless rotary tool. How many folks use them at the top of a ladder?

The engineers and designers like them...... I don't know why. I hate every product Dremel has ever made. Garbage.

Can't comment on the rotary tool but the Milwaukee M12 tools that I have have been the best cordless tools I've ever used
Jordy

Bosch owns Dremel.

I have been using a Bosch 10.8 volt angle driver for 10 years and I'm still using the original batteries. My only complaint with it is that it has too much power, you can modulate it down low enough for my uses.

Curious:

I absolutely HATE getting out the Dremel tool for just about any task, but I do, because I have it , and it's the "right size" for many tasks.

On the other hand, The $30 air grinder I've had for 30 years is a pleasure to use, always smooth and solid. But... a bit large for many "delicate" tasks.

I suppose I need to get one of those compact air tools... ;-)

Beat them around the face till they submit to the fact that cordless rotary tools will never provide the quality that a pneumatic or corded tool will provide.

Then install a quality dental drill.

I have a corded NSK, similar to the one shown, as well as several cable drive Foredom units. The NSK has nowhere near the torque of the cable-drive units, BUT, the NSK is much easier to use in tight areas... I use it all the time in molds, while they are still in the press.. But the NSK is not cheap.

Vote 2 for a dentists drill. You are the authority, you know they don't. You just need to convince them somehow of what they actually want.

Robert

...I've got this Nakanishi grinder that's coarded and incredibly well made. Makes the Foredom look like a Ford Model T.
View attachment 136295

I have a "$1000 Dremel." It is probably just as good as the NSK/Nakanishi and runs faster. It is a 50K RPM brushless micromotor that has a second outlet for also using the 35K RPM brush-type micromotors and the ones with right angle ends. The 50K handpiece takes 1/8", 3/32" and 1/16" collets. They are mostly meant for dental labs and jewelry makers. I think I actually paid $650 for it at Lion's, but Foredom sells the same thing with their name as model K.1050 for $1100 up. I think it is silly to think Foredom does not have good stuff. Of course, Foredom does not actually make the really good stuff, but I do like their flex shaft tools and use them a great deal. K.1050 Brushless Kit, High Torque and Speed, 2.35mm (3/32") or 1/8" Collet

The Foredom K.1050 is made in Korea by Saeyang and you can buy them with the Marathon Handy 700 name. Marathon Handy 700 Brushless Dental Micro Motor Marathon Handy 700 Complete with Brushless Handpiece and Variable Pedal | eBay

I cannot imagine a cordless unit that would perform as well as a micromotor.

Larry

$_12.JPG
K1050Dual1.jpg

Back