What's new
What's new

Cordless tools

pcm81

Cast Iron
Greetings and salutations.
I'd like to hear your opinions of which brand of cordless tools i should go with to supplement my current set of makitas?

Here is the catch: I am looking for a battery powered polisher for car waxing etc. The Ryobi looks interesting, but i am not sure if i should look at some other product line, which would better supplement my Makita LXTs. Right now i am looking for an easy to use waxer (my mom wants to "play with" waxing my old car) (... yeah i know...). Anyhow, i figured with something small and easy to use like "18-Volt ONE+ Cordless 6 in. Buffer (Tool-Only) by RYOBI" she can't do too much damage and less than $50 price tag for tool is cheap enough to let her play with. If Makita had one like it i'd buy that. Somewhat hesitant to go with makita sander with foam pad... would that be too fast for waxing by a mother?

If i am going with something other than makita, what product line would be best for me to buy into?
Is there a makita polisher/waxer/sander that is safe enough to trust my mom to wax a car with using a foam pad? Don't want to spend $400 on Makita XOP02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 5"/ 6" Dual Action Random Orbit Polisher, Tool Only. Plus that would be too much of a tool for my mother or the immediate need...

I know its a weird question..

Thanks ahead

Ive much past time down in car body repair. The goto was a corded polisher with a 6" sponge head, can get velcro backing pads with rip off heads with grades for compounding and glazing.

For your mum, hows about a Milwaukee M12 Cordless Polisher/Sander, small light, pretty sure itll be powerful enough to go through edges with compound if shes not paying attention lol.
I bought a couple of Milwaukee bits, the M12 3/8 impact easily outguns the 18v stubby 1/2 makita, I love the 3/8 ratchet to, especially in tight areas.

Milwaukee and DeWalt are on par with Makota. Stay away from DeWalt recip saws, though. Ryobi is Milwaukee’s (TTI)ho,downer line. Why not stick with Makita?

Edit: I re-read your post. The Ryobi buffer is a good buy.

Well, it seems my choices are Millwaukee 12V or Ryobi 18V product lines.
Which product line do you think will supplement Makita 18V better? At this point I only have Makita 18V LXT line and Craftsman 12V hammer with charger.

Can makita 18V multi-tool with felt pad be used for wax buffing? I have it already and could just give it to my mom to play with...

EDIT: After my mom is done "playing with it" it will come back to me, so trying to figure out what supplements my 18V makitas best.

Milwaukee stuff is fantastic. Very tenacious. Knock a red tool off of a 6' ladder and it probably won't even notice. I've never really heard of or had any complaints regarding Milwaukee stuff while at work. Everybody seems to love it when a new shop hands them a set of red tools.

DeWalt is *okayish*. Some of their stuff is goofy but it generally works alright. Their old oval battery packs suck but the new lithium stuff is fine.

Makita gets a big fat 'F' - they don't hold up at all in a professional capacity. Their 2" band saws are garbage right out of the box. The whole shop I'm at hates them. Lots of brush and trigger problems on their drills and impacts. Sometimes you've got to knock the impacts upside the head to re-seat the brushes so you can get a little more use out of them.

Hilti's power tools are alright, but their powder actuated stuff jams all the time.

No idea if any of the homeowner brands are decent.

Bottom line IMHO: If you're just using this stuff for home projects then stick with what you've already got. Makita tools will serve you just fine as long as you don't take them onto a jobsite. Otherwise give team red a shot.

Eustace Haney was the only dealer for Hoyt Clagwell gear that I knew of, and I haven’t been able to contact him lately. Sam Drucker (A member on this site who can get parts for anything) was unable to get me a replacement charger for my 6v H-C buffer polisher. Nice gear, but not easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryobi is my third-line cordless tool set, and I love them for that. Don't misunderstand, their MAIN tools are hot garbage. You don't want a Ryobi impact driver or cordless circular saw that you need to rely on. But they have such a huge variety of weird stuff. Like their cordless hot glue gun. Super cheap and I use it all the time. The cordless inflators are fantastic for bike tires, water rockets, pool toys, etc. There's blowers and buffers and USB ports and misters and all sorts of stuff to make life easier.

My main line is Bosch and I have a bunch of the old 18V Dewalt stuff as backups, if that helps for reference.

Glad i don't have to apologize for strawberry milk spilled all over your monitor... just an eyebrow...

Lol, yeah, just an eyebrow.

Back on topic, regarding Ryobi cordless tools. I've had pretty good success with their current crop of equipment. Mostly shop use but some light commercial use they hold up reasonable well. I realize other brands are tougher but you pay accordingly.
Hodge

Milwaukee stuff is fantastic.

I used to think so but they are going stupid. I am all in on Milwaukee tools.

A bout a year ago I bought a bunch of tools including a M18 1/2" drill driver. It it an utter POS! They went to an electronic clutch. Clutch does not work. Been in the repair shop twice and Milwaukee replaced it with a new and the new one does the same. Clutch does not work. Did I mention that the clutch does not work?

I set it at 7 out of 14. Half torque. 2 inch sheet rock screw I drove it right through the 3 1/2 inch side of a 2 x 4. What am I supposed to do with that if I need torque control?????

Battery-powered tools have been discussed here in the past, do a search. I don't know if anybody mentioned buffers or polishers, though.

My vote for other battery-powered tools would have to go to Metabo or Panasonic.

Which product line do you think will supplement Makita 18V better? At this point I only have Makita 18V LXT line and Craftsman 12V hammer with charger.

Can makita 18V multi-tool with felt pad be used for wax buffing? I have it already and could just give it to my mom to play with...

EDIT: After my mom is done "playing with it" it will come back to me, so trying to figure out what supplements my 18V makitas best.

If you already have the 18V Makita tools, then you should stay with them unless you are dissatisfied.

I think the battery is of more importance than the tools, especially if not a tool that is used continuously. Ryobi has priced their tools very competitively however, I consider their battery charger and battery packs somewhat pricey though they do seem of good quality. I have chosen to use Ryobi for the special tools such as the portable pump, the hot glue gun, multi-tool, etc.

Makita is my main line tools. I have 6 battery packs and two chargers so I can use the small hand grinder or the reciprocating saw almost continuously without running out of battery.

I also have a Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet tool just because that the Makita version was not available in the store for an immediate need. Nothing wrong with the Milwaukee stuff. Just a matter of needing to have enough battery capacity for the required use of the tools.

Sorry to disappoint your pocket but not really man :).

I watched this, hes right that it takes a while to get good with rotary, ive no experience with DA for buffing, but can see how it would be a lot more forgiving for the inexperienced.

Maybe this will work for you mum? The hump on the front is nice, its not cheating to rest an elbow on a knee doing low side work. At least youll have a da sander at the end of it, or you could sell for decent money if youve no really no use for it, and it dances with your current battery sets.

The best bit is you can look mum squarely in the eye and tell her you bought her the best Makita tool for the job :cloud9:........... Now make me a sandwich :D

Millwaukee- been solid for years of commercial use.

But... I believe that the last driver/drill M18 set I bought is crap.
Significant drop in quality and the first week I had it the driver blew up a part of the motor and started spitting pieces of plastic out.

I will keep them going as long as I can but lost any confidence that they are the best choice out there.
Must more a disposable rig now- maybe that's ok at the price point but it seems a pity to buy tools that don't last.

Sorry to disappoint your pocket but not really man :).

The best bit is you can look mum squarely in the eye and tell her you bought her the best Makita tool for the job :cloud9:........... Now make me a sandwich :D

You made me LOL.

You made me LOL.

Then my work here is done :)
11B1BA5DA0555E24AB6F95C3D5E4A33EAC225859

Back