Mark

2. Likes Demon73, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
    Here you go again, citing the literature and making a fool of yourself.
    He's not citing the literature. He is pulling his own ideas out his ass and claiming they are in the literature. Those same studies and people concluded that CAT scans can be a valuable and more accurate way to detect covid, especially in early stages.

Yes it is an early paper and subject to many revisions and might turn out to be useless. But Scott is not honest.

You must not know what CT stands for. Let me help you: it's "Computed Tomography."
    Originally CAT, Computerized Axial Tomography, not sure why it got changed. The original was more accurate and easier to say. That's like making CADCAM into CDCM, doesn't make sense. But if that's the worst no-sense-making issue we have to deal with, we're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    The U.S. is not China ...
    Certainly. China 90% done with this epidemic, now sending medical staff to Italy to help out, producing 1.5 million test kits (that work) a week, for sure the US is not China, you got that right.

"Incompetent" is the word that springs to mind but hey, at least you're not China !

Actual information direct from the horse's mouth, 25 person international medical research team onsite:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...nal-report.pdf

And finally a comment on the TB and smoking claim :

"While patients who reported no comorbid conditions had a CFR [crude fatality rate] of 1.4%, patients with comorbid conditions had much higher rates: 13.2% for those with cardiovascular disease, 9.2% for diabetes, 8.4% for hypertension, 8.0% for chronic respiratory disease, and 7.6% for cancer. "

Luckily none of those conditions are common in the US.

PeteM !

"General Secretary Xi Jinping personally directed and deployed the prevention and control work and requested that the prevention and control of the COVID-19 outbreak be the top priority of government at all levels."

Da debbil made me quote it
    Last edited by EmanuelGoldstein; 03-14-2020 at 11:52 AM.

4. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After seeing how the public panics over Coronavirus, I can see why the government would never tell us about Aliens.

6. Likes Jarrod, cranium, NeilJ, Dualkit, Booze Daily liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I keep looking to see what businesses are doing in relationship to the pandemic. I am not authorized too discuss company plans that may include a complete travel ban, doors are to be locked, deliveries are to be dropped outside or returned to sender, extra cleaning. Anyone possibly compromised or who left town to travel must stay at home self quarantined for minimum 2 weeks.

8. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    There seems to be alot of mis-information out there. Not to say I am 'right' but I think comparing it to the regular flu is a littlle ...ehh? The mortality rate of corona is something like 3% and the flu is .1% (or maybe 1% ?) *

My wife works in retail and one of their employees started to show symptoms and is in the process of being tested for corona.

* I don't know if those numbers are correct or not, but it seems to be what we are being told by the media (take that how you will! )
    3% vs. 1% perhaps, but realize that we have something like 30 years or more of influenza vaccination to thank for that.

If the pleabs would have learned to wash their hands, sneeze into their sleeve and stay home from work/school when they're sick, over the last 30 years we would be a lot further along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things are looking pretty grim. I went out to get some Thai food yesterday, and they were out of rice. I just went out this morning to grab some shit to eat and two markets I went to had hundreds of people standing outside in the rain waiting to get in.
    Looks like most of these idiots could stand to skip a few meals anyway.

11. Likes Pathogen, Demon73, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this morning i went to my supermarket to get some groceries.
    got most of what i needed, the hand sanitiser shelf was empty though.
    then a rather young man passed me by with a full box of hand sanitiser.
    i stopped him and lectured him about how anti social is is to be hoarding products that all people need to stay safe.
    he just kept looking at me sheepishly, and i was about to tear the box out of his hands when he said
    " can i please go on with filling the shelves?¨

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    Things are looking pretty grim. I went out to get some Thai food yesterday, and they were out of rice. I just went out this morning to grab some shit to eat and two markets I went to had hundreds of people standing outside in the rain waiting to get in.

you should have just said in a very loud voice: bon giorno a tutti
    the crowd would have dispersed immediately...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

“I don't take responsibility at all,” Trump said defiantly, pointing to an unspecified “set of circumstances” and “rules, regulations and specifications from a different time.”

The remarks from the president came in response to questions at a Friday press conference about the lack of widespread access to testing, an aspect of his administration's coronavirus response that has been the subject of widespread, steady criticism. Administration officials told lawmakers yesterday that the U.S. tested about 11,000 people during the first seven weeks of the outbreak — roughly as many as South Korea is testing each day.

Koreans are testing more in a day than the US has tested in total

what a loser

this is what happens when you vote a moron in as a leader

total fail

without data, there is no information, without information there is no effective response

loser

15. Likes triumph406, Greg White, e-fishin-c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...s-coronavirus/

In Taiwan they are testing dogs

here it is only the wealthy

nice

17. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The panic usually causes way more collateral damage than the main event. I definitely wasn't shocked to see all the paper towels, toilet paper gone and the disinfectants pretty much wiped out. No concern for me as I never go below 1/2 dozen large paper towel rolls and a couple dozen rolls of toilet paper. I never really use disinfectants to "disinfect", but I use bleach as a cleaner and ammonia to make homemade glass cleaner. I am amazed how good spraying bleach on things work as with a couple bad shoulders I don't like using elbow grease.

The reason why the local panic buying didn't surprise me is how people react here when it snows. If even just 1-2 inches is predicted all the eggs, milk, and bread are gone off the shelves. They close all the schools and government offices. I also learned to not be caught shopping when it starts falling as people lose their minds. They act like they are fleeing a burning building, carts get scattered all over the parking lot, and people drive recklessly.

I have been told ages ago it wasn't like this here, I wouldn't know as I have only been an east coaster for 10 years. Don't know if the area I lived in 35 years ago is now sissified or not. I lived in the Southern California mountains then and a foot falling overnight didn't shut anything down. I can remember quite a few times walking through a foot of snow carrying two small kids to the bus stop. They just had plows running 24-7 and they put chains on the buses. Also you could shop during the snow and people were moving and acting just like it was a clear warm day.

19. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I definitely wasn't shocked to see all the paper towels, toilet paper gone and the disinfectants pretty much wiped out.
    I have to wonder just how much US people shit ? Two of us might go through a roll of tp in a week. So a four-pack lasts about a month.

Do you guys think toilet paper will never be produced again or something ?

Like I mentioned, there wasn't any hoarding here and you could get most groceries and stuff all through the quarantine period. Stock up on water ? What, the virus is going to burst all your pipes ?

Crazy

21. Likes janvanruth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dualkit,

Same here. They go berserk every time a storm is predicted or something like this virus business and strip the shelves bare. Like yourself we also have extra supplies of paper goods, canned goods and the like. Supplies in stores are too vulnerable to bad weather and other issues including labor strikes which caused some shortages here some years back. Saves running out during bad weather or if confined by illness for a time.

Keeping extra stuff on hand used to be the norm in New England but times change and so do people's habits. I think they get so used to the convenience today that they forget supply chains are very vulnerable to disruption. It would be nice if they could LEARN from experience and keep more on hand in future so they won't need to resort to panic buying but I'm convinced many won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    I’m not going to argue, however I do know enough to tell you this
    Start taking vitamin D, I’ll let you go find out why, you may be grateful,
    I hope it passes soon, god willing
    Take care and wash your paws
    Mark
    And one way to get vitamin D is to expose your skin to the outdoor sun whenever weather allows. Fresh air and sunshine are known disinfectants. During the 1918 flu pandemic affected soldiers in Boston were successfully given what was known as fresh air therapy and some were housed in tents instead of barracks. They did far better than those confined to stuffy barracks and onboard ships.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went to my local Safeway after work yesterday. Toilet paper and paper towels aisle was cleaned out completely. Same for the frozen food section.

We better cancel the November election, this existential crisis takes priority over everything else.

Stay in your bunkers people! FEMA will be distributing seed packets to communities next week, just in time to dig up your yard and plant your food crops. It's gonna be beans and peas for a while, but we'll get through it!

25. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    You live in Southern California. I have found a higher percentage of people there, especially people in Orange County are the trendy keep up with the Joneses types. Obviously many of the residents saw all the panic buying on the news and thought that was the thing to do, and place to be seen. Kind of like all the celebrities that sit front court at the Laker games and are rarely caught watching the action.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Corona virus is 30 times more deadly than the flu

Left unregulated, do the math

China locked down entire cities to limit deaths to 3000 in maybe 100k cases.

The US is running 2-4 percent death rate

There were 30 million flu cases in the US last year, with ~35k deaths [.15%]

30 million Corona virus cases would lead you to say a million deaths, by the numbers

So, is it an overreaction?

Do the math
    Don't know where you got your info, but your math is WRONG. 30 million in the USA? Never happened; maybe 30,000. Death rate is going to be in the tenth's of a percent WHEN all the known infected is listed and treated. AND if you believe ANY figures coming from the ChiCom's, I have a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you.

28. Likes Thunderjet liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky45 View Post
    AND if you believe ANY figures coming from the ChiCom's, I have a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you.
    And the Italians are just a bunch of wops and gangsters .... Germans, squarehead nazi krauts, and frogs ? Who's going to believe a frog, some princess somewhere ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know where you got your info, but your math is WRONG. 30 million in the USA? Never happened; maybe 30,000. Death rate is going to be in the tenth's of a percent WHEN all the known infected is listed and treated. AND if you believe ANY figures coming from the ChiCom's, I have a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you.
    how about the numbers from the germans?
    or are those a bridge too far?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shame on you for spreading misinformation. What are you, some kind of right-wing bobblehead?

If someone on TV tells you millions will die you should believe it.

If anyone in government orders you to stay home and you go out you should be shot.

We WILL conquer this disease even if we have to destroy the country to do it. Who gives a shit if millions of people lose their jobs and thousands of companies go bankrupt, as long as we accomplish our goal.

And shame on you for your xenophobia and racism for suggesting that the government of China would lie. They are our FRIENDS, or at least were until that nasty Trump fella stole the election and started pestering them over trade practices.

obey.jpg

32. Likes david n liked this post