Close
Login to Your Account
Page 146 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 4311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    out here in the boonies.....the rates are still proportional to the tests jan.

so far not lookin good.

MIL- high risk in nursing home...nursing home sent her to hospital because she was displaying symptoms....the hospital sent her back....they are no better to care for her than the nursing home apparently.
    Good luck to her. If anything, the transfers must have just added to her (and your) stress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks Mil.

human suffering is one thing im never down for...not for others anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MIL- high risk in nursing home...nursing home sent her to hospital because she was displaying symptoms....the hospital sent her back....they are no better to care for her than the nursing home apparently.

and no test done.
    I hope she's ok.

Lots similar anecdotes close to home of high risk + symptoms and no test. There's no conspiracy, just not the capacity. However it makes the media and morons (our leadership) constant discussion of # of cases and fatalities just seem like so much BS. Not for a second that I discount the seriousness of this, the body is count is obviously real, but I don't think anyone has a clue on how many cases there are. As an outsider, I accept that there may be a plausible statistical augments I'm just not aware of. otoh the people spouting the numbers like our PM, Min of Health or National Health Advisor have such little credibility it would really help if they explained the argument for why the reported cases or fatality % means anything in the face of it not looking like anyone having a foggy clue what percentage of the population has the virus.

A ongoing bee in my bonnet so to speak. These leaders won't be effective if the people don't have confidence in them and what they are saying. You're guy thinks he knows more about everything than anybody and our guy is just straight up a boob. Someone here wrote if they parted him out, it would be "for sale, one small brain, barely used". People aren't, or least a meaningful percentage aren't, taking this as seriously as they should in part because the don't take these leaders seriously.

4. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    BUT Still minuscule amount of cases in SF vs NYC.
    Lots of SF people take the buses, which are just as crowded as a NY subway. Market Street and Union Square and the restaurants are just as crowded, maybe more so.

One big difference is that SF is tiny. There's not even a million people who live there. So start the isolation a few days earlier (doubling in the US every three days), starting from a much smaller population and you're going to have a lot fewer cases.

Plus SF people are smarter and nicer

The real key tho is to start early, before the numbers are so large. It's pretty easy to deal with a hundred people but in one week that's now 800, a MUCH bigger problem. Give it another week and omg.

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    The Coronavirus Is the Worst Intelligence Failure in U.S. History, and It's All Trump's Fault .............
    I would just like to point out that we do have a Congress. Congress is independent of the executive and they do have the power to run the country. In fact, almost all the power is legally vested in Congress.

What you are seeing is a total failure of 500 people to do their jobs, not just one. In reality, he should be a figurehead.

Credit where credit is due, I say ...

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EG: what is the situation in china now? IIRC they were increasing the restrictions again?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Lots of SF people take the buses, which are just as crowded as a NY subway. Market Street and Union Square and the restaurants are just as crowded, maybe more so.

One big difference is that SF is tiny. There's not even a million people who live there.
    Not even one million? I don't think the stats are limited to Market District, Fremont, or Telegraph Hill, are they?

Closer to EIGHT million, SF, Oakland, Bay Area, East Bay, and a lot more - all about as "contiguous" as the Bay's intrusion itself and the San Brunos allow and commuting their BART and highway asses off on "normal" days.

"Nicer" - than LA, at least - I could subscribe to. When their biz decision makers were first setting up in Asia, it was all about neat, clean, regulated, but "nice" Singapore.

Hong Kong, they could NOT deal with. The grubby, crowded, high-velocity dynamic was too much like dreaded New Yawk Shiddy!

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EG: what is the situation in china now? IIRC they were increasing the restrictions again?
    Nah, that's just stuff the press pulls out its ass when they don't have a real story. They are certainly paying attention, and incoming is the biggest source of virus now, so that is being watched and I believe anyone coming in is quarantined - in fact most visas cancelled for now - but the general case is we're happy little guys just doing our thing. Quite a few sales going on, prices are down, activity is lower than normal, but overall, it's okay. I hear Hong Kong is tightening up a bit but they were behind us time-wise anyhow.

One thing I am kinda surprised, don't hear about the use of thermometers anywhere else. It was universal here. Go into ANY place and get your temp scanned. It is apparently a pretty reliable early indicator ? That's all still in place and important buildings have sign-in, need-to-go greeters. But otherwise pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    i guess you must be right about the attacker always losing,
    His history book missed 1066 and Genghis Khan, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by thermite
    Closer to EIGHT million, SF, Oakland, Bay Area, East Bay, and a lot more
    Well hell then, let's include Eureka, Grass Valley, Stockton, Chico, Santa Rosa, Yreka, hell why not Fresno, Riverside, and San Diego ?

Dumb comparison. The mayor of SF has no control over what other cities do. OP was comparing SF response to NYC.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One big difference is that SF is tiny. There's not even a million people who live there. So start the isolation a few days earlier (doubling in the US every three days), starting from a much smaller population and you're going to have a lot fewer cases.
    Bear in mind that the figures and graph I posted were comparing NY and SF Bay Area, not just SF. The 7 counties comprising the Bay Area have a combined population of 7.6 million, just a little smaller than NY population but much larger in land area.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    Bear in mind that the figures and graph I posted were comparing NY and SF Bay Area, not just SF. The 7 counties comprising the Bay Area have a combined population of 7.6 million, just a little smaller than NY population but much larger in land area.
    Then your graph is stupid (not you, the graph) because NYC has one mayor while the bay area has dozens, all taking their own path.

That's the trouble with this stuff, you have to look at everything critically. You can't compare an area that is part suburb, part rural, part agricultural, part-city, with a dozen different governments to one that is JUST a city.

But I'll still stick with SF is smarter and nicer than NYC

These comparisons are tricky, need to be sure it's apples to apples or the comparison is pointless.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear Hong Kong is tightening up a bit but they were behind us time-wise anyhow.
    Tight, yes. But it's hard to be sure WHY. They'd LOVE to have the riots abate as a byproduct, of "distancing" for example.

So far, not a lot of joy on that road. Arson and hooliganism still runnng according to SOME sort of plan, and the Police trying to get as many such plans and their perps, minders, and funders ID'ed as they can do. So far, not the "usual suspects", and more than a few at odds with each other, FWIW.

One thing I am kinda surprised, don't hear about the use of theermometers anywhere else. It was universal here.
    HKG tons of them got automated after SARS, integrated with the camera net, and "built in". Not to hide them. Just so they didn't have to STAFF them as heavily nor slow-down traffic at the choke-points.

His history book missed 1066 and Genghis Khan, among other things.
    LOL! Nearly every SIGNIFICANT conflict in the history of mankind was either missed or distorted.

He's only half right about the meek inheriting the Earth as well.

Usta do. Back when bodies died from "muscle powered" weapons, generally intact, or at least not scattered more than about arm's length.

More recently, it is AIR as much as Earth they are merged with. You'd have to know HE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    Lordstown is completely unsuitable for making respirators. It's at least a million square feet of high bay manufacturing set up for assembling automobiles. Kokomo was an electronics plant that is divided up into areas for small part manufacturing and assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if they even have clean rooms. Or at least rooms that are very clean by auto plant standards. GM made the decision where to build based on over a hundred years of experience in manufacturing. The giant orange head wanted it to go where it would go to do him the most good politically

We will remember come November.

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Clean rooms are modular these days. They fit nicely into any old factory space. I know, I;ve installed them, and worked in them.

Non issue.
    Seems pretty basic....once again...very basically simple. If America needs ventilators YESTERDAY... JUST MAKES MORE SENSE to use the factory which is already up and running.
    It would be jack-Shit stupid crazy to bring production to Lordstown. It’s a closed mothballed factory.
    The whole reason for Automobile manufacturers to try at this is because they have all the expertise, equipment, and a hell of a lot of stock and raw materials already in place.
    So please explain the logic...yes....LOGIC to produce ventilators that America needs yesterday at a closed down mothballed factory. It’s another stupid idea by the dumbest guy in the room. The Moron in Chief never ceases to amaze me.

13. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    ... never ceases to amaze me.
    He is getting the country what we need. Doesn't MATTER if he knows HOW.

Only matters that those who DO know how, WILL DO when he directs it be DONE!
    And "getting done" it surely IS!

QED

Thankful that y'all whinging hate America nebbishes couldn't MOVE fast enough to go and get in the way to take the blocking action to fuck it up so nothing good EVER happened!

Keep tripping-out and tripping OVER yer chronic, whining, "TDS".

It KEEPS you TF out of the game so Americans can JF deal with reality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Workers are being hired and trained in Kokomo.
    Initial test production should begin next week.
    One small detail is that no one has issued a purchase order to them yet.
    Kokomo GM plant nearly ready to start ventilator production
    Ventilator Manufacturers Forged Ahead Even Without Government Orders : NPR

GM is also making masks. GM retools Warren plant for face masks with Ventec amid coronavirus
    Bob

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GM exploiting the weak president, that is what it is, now Trump will have to buy them whatever the price is, he has absolutely no legs to stand on

I suspect it has been like this since January, he simply cannot govern with zero real support, even if he wanted to do the right thing, he couldn't, exploited by his "supporters" and slandered continuously by the opposition, politics at its finest...

not for a moment I'd believe that Trump (and his team) was so stupid as to order the production of those ventilators in an unsuitable factory, there was some power play going on there, and Trump was on the receiving end of it

I'm not trying to support what Trump is doing, just pointing out the impossible situation he is

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Coronavirus: Justin Trudeau hints at retaliation after White House orders 3M to halt ‘critical’ N95 mask exports to Canada health workers"
    Coronavirus: Justin Trudeau hints at retaliation after White House orders 3M to halt ‘critical’ N95 mask exports to Canada health workers | South China Morning Post

This is good as some panicking European countries have been buying medical supplies from questionable Chinese sources:
    Chinese goverment also bans sale of non-approved test kits to outside of china:
    Coronavirus: China bans export of test kits, medical supplies by firms not licensed to sell them at home | South China Morning Post

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    He is getting the country what we need.
    You can't always get what you want ... but if you try some times, you get what you deserve.

whatyouneed.jpg

Don't trust that data, janco ! They're just trying to ruin your economy ! It's not a big thing, just like the flu !

"Coronavirus: Justin Trudeau hints at retaliation after White House orders 3M to halt ‘critical’ N95 mask exports to Canada health workers"
    You know what ? The Trump jerk is a worthless asshole, that's all there is to it You can't bully the entire planet when you're standing there with your pants down around your ankles.

It's despicable when a big nation bullies a small one (Ulysses S Grant said that, not me - or maybe his Party handlers were pulling the strings ?) but it's both despicable and stupid when you are the one with the biggest problem.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because one photo is worth ten thousand words (have to post several to get up to thermite level) and also because, you know, just a mouthpiece for the Communist Party here, why would anyone believe what I say ? so look for yourself, just went out to get lunch :

Judge for yourself.

In the park photo you can see some ... I dunno, they aren't police exactly, probably some part-timers in borrowed uniforms ? taking temp checks on the wrist. They changed to wrists instead of foreheads a while ago, is that better ? Dunno.

lunch.jpg

jingan_park.jpg

formassesofasses.jpg

strollin.jpg

Kinda light on people for here but definitely not locked in our rooms. Have a lot more for the unbelievers, but they won't believe anyhow so why bother ?

20. Likes Demon73, Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

out here in the boonies.....the rates are still proportional to the tests jan.

so far not lookin good.
    I'm just comparing the IHME model to the actual numbers:

Ohio, April 3:

hospitalizations projected: 2801
    hospitalizations actual: 895

ICU projected: 555
    ICU Actual: 288

Total deaths projected: 107
    Total deaths actual: 91

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/por.../covid-19/home

COVID-19

If the reason we have shut down everything is to protect the health care system, the models need to better predict the real impact- my concern is that overstating the hospitalizations can lead to bad policy decisions and poor allocation of resources.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    Lordstown is completely unsuitable for making respirators. It's at least a million square feet of high bay manufacturing set up for assembling automobiles. Kokomo was an electronics plant that is divided up into areas for small part manufacturing and assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if they even have clean rooms. Or at least rooms that are very clean by auto plant standards. GM made the decision where to build based on over a hundred years of experience in manufacturing. The giant orange head wanted it to go where it would go to do him the most good politically

We will remember come November.

Seems pretty basic....once again...very basically simple. If America needs ventilators YESTERDAY... JUST MAKES MORE SENSE to use the factory which is already up and running.
    It would be jack-Shit stupid crazy to bring production to Lordstown. It’s a closed mothballed factory.
    The whole reason for Automobile manufacturers to try at this is because they have all the expertise, equipment, and a hell of a lot of stock and raw materials already in place.
    So please explain the logic...yes....LOGIC to produce ventilators that America needs yesterday at a closed down mothballed factory. It’s another stupid idea by the dumbest guy in the room. The Moron in Chief never ceases to amaze me.
    i doubt that any of the stock and raw materials of a car production plant can be used on producing ventilators.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Workers are being hired and trained in Kokomo.
    Initial test production should begin next week.
    One small detail is that no one has issued a purchase order to them yet.
    "Small detail" is all it is. BTDTGTTS. Fed doesn't buy, States will. Or private buyers. Canada issue will be resolved as well. And more.

"Fog of war". Blood and bullets, masks and ventilators. Any other rapid-response exercise, military or civilian, no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

So yah keep adjusting to the situation with NEW plans, advance, re-assess, repeat.

Ultimately, ever, and always, yah do a job with the resources yah HAVE. Not the ones you only WISH yah had or the ones some fool with nothing more than his ass and a keyboard thinks you SHOULD have had.

Not just materials. Leaders, too!

What marvelously useful souls the naysayers be!

To "somebody" only "maybe", and "elsewhere" for damned-sure!