Page 150 of 216 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 4311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    'from what I have been hearing'

Voices in your head again

If you get to the hospital with flu like symptoms, they have to test you to know what to do with you, it would be foolish and a waste of resources to do otherwise

On average, 7700 people die every day in this country

Yesterday about 1 in 6 people who died, died of Covid

Tomorrow it will be about 1 in 5

It is supposed to peak over 2000 per day

That will mean 1 in 4

But it is just the flu, right?
    And in Italy they are taking a second look at "coronavirus deaths" to see if they were mis-classified.

Report: Italian Adviser Suggests that Coronavirus Death Rates in Italy may be Exaggerated

All this nonsense about using other countries' statistics to predict the U.S. death rate are horseshit. And nowhere in the USA has anywhere near the level of air pollution as Wuhan and Northern Italy, particularly the Lombardy region. Heavy air pollution is a known factor in increasing deaths from respiratory illnesses.

Outside of a few neighborhoods in the USA there are no massive die-offs from coronavirus or nay other respiratory disease. All those scary numbers are PROJECTIONS based on reports from elsewhere that lack detailed data.

Why do left-wingers believe that most people think like them?

1) They spend most of their time with their own kind.

2) When they have "conversations" with others who don't think like them their extreme views and emotionalism discourage people from voicing contrary views.

Larry Leftwing: "We've just got to get rid of that F*****g Trump and all his neo-Nazi brain dead toothless inbred followers!" "They should all be killed!"

Joey Normal: "Mmmmmph"

Larry Leftwing interprets that as assent but what it really means is "Holy Shit! This guy's on the verge of a meltdown and anything I say to contradict him might lead to a loud unpleasant scene so I'd better just nod and mutter and keep my opinions to myself".

Long before Trump ever announced his candidacy I've had similar "conversations" at work. No one needs to be a party to loud angry shouting at work, regardless of who is doing the shouting. Bosses tend to blame both parties and assume the quiet one helped instigate the incident. If they share the politics of the shouter they tend to fix MOST of the blame on the other guy.

This is partly why so many polls showed Hillary winning by a landslide. Most people, especially if asked within earshot of others denied they intended to vote for Trump. In the privacy of the voting booth you can anonymously vote for whoever you want. This is one reason why mail-in voting would be so bad for Republicans. Many who vote for Trump don't want their name on a list that might get into the hands of the more extreme TDS crowd. In their minds it is like voting for Hitler and they might take revenge on the voters because they can't get at the candidate they hate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    That's bloody genius shit right there^^^^^^^^
    Bird might disagree.

Poor bugger has to spend the rest of his life living on Chinese noodles.

Eaten one at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    'from what I have been hearing'

Voices in your head again

If you get to the hospital with flu like symptoms, they have to test you to know what to do with you, it would be foolish and a waste of resources to do otherwise

On average, 7700 people die every day in this country

Yesterday about 1 in 6 people who died, died of Covid

Tomorrow it will be about 1 in 5

It is supposed to peak over 2000 per day

That will mean 1 in 4

But it is just the flu, right?
    50,000 persons per week all causes (rough average)

3,000 per week from influenza and pneumonia

We will need to watch the rates after the blurr of epidemic subsides. Many statistics will be co-tabulated (read confused) and after, the rate may decline significantly, to levels far below precedent.

We will see.

National Center for Health Statistics Mortality Surveillance System

Investigating the impact of influenza on excess mortality in all ages in Italy during recent seasons (2013/14–2016/17 seasons) - ScienceDirect

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Then again, after a visit to an owlery in Ireland, I started seriously looking for a group of Falconers in my area, until I realized I am much too irresponsible to be in charge of a bird of prey.
    Could you send a note about "realization of irresponsibility" to the child-in-chief? Use small words, so he can try sounding it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

its not like a government might not try to downplay its failures.
    never happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Plastic injection molds.
    Sheet metal breaks.
    Sheet metal presses.
    Wiring and hoses.

Touch screen displays.
    Electronics.
    You know..or maybe you don’t know....but a 2 ohm resistor is a two ohm resistor. The amount of electronics in a car is astounding.
    Hell....I’m guessing that the vapor recovery unit on every fuel system in every automobile has half of he needed sensors for a ventilator. The sensors are already monitoring a minor amount of pressure inside the gas tank.
    You know....like when you leave your gas cap loose after filling up the tank and the check engine light lights up. That sensor is checking pressure of inches of water. Not inches of Mercury ....inches of water. And there are literally tens of hundreds of extremely accurate sensors throughout an automobile.
    It’s not that hard to reverse engineer and make a ventilator using the raw materials in a car. I’m sure the electrical engineers can figure out a workaround to do just that.
    So yes....I do think an automobile factory has both raw materials and equipment and the people to build a ventilator .
    And granted...most of the high tech electronics is subbed out to small manufacturing firms. Used to be many more in the USA. But still....I’m sure there’s at least a few around here in the USA in which GM or Ford could get to make the integrated circuits board of a ventilator. The other manufacturers of ventilators already shared the blueprints.

But....when you’re talking about a shut down factory....then that makes it harder. Personally....I think a currently open factory just makes much more sense. It’s a no brainer.

By the way....in World War 2- Ford was making B-24 bombers. Chrysler was building tanks. Typewriter companies making rifles.
    So yes....an automobile factory has enough raw materials on hand to make a ventilator. I’m sure the tool and die makers could get the shell of the machine up and running in short order.

i think you would be hard pressed to find anything usable in the raw stock of a european car manufacturer, other than sheet metal.
    nearly all components are bought with delivery just in time.
    apart from the maintenance department i doubt you will find a foot of electrical cable or hose,and no electronics.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Countryside villages. There's no cash in the villages, so they go to the cities to make money, which they send home. Or save up to go back and start some little business. Or they are young and want some excitement. Not that much to do in a village. Us old farts would like it but not kids.

I could happily live on Lijiang, catch one or two fish a day, grow some vegetables, look at the water ... but that's for old people. Do an image search, buck, li jiang river ... you'd probably like it too.

Were you there ? I don't believe a word out of those bullshit sites, because I have been places and seen things then read the crap they publish about what I saw with these two eyes. It never matches.

If the official numbers were wildly off the general public of China would be screaming bloody murder. Everyone here has relatives and friends, it is the gossip center of the world, you could never keep something like that quiet. The word of the initial problem spread long before it made the news. I heard about it eavesdropping on gossip on the subway.

Kind of an odd aside, I don't personally know anyone who died in China but a friend works for an Italian startup - their boss lost his mom and dad and family doctor, all three. Anecdotal, but it does not contradict the official writings.

Looks like a wonderful place EG.
    “ I could happily live on Lijiang, catch one or two fish a day, grow some vegetables, look at the water ... but that's for old people. Do an image search, buck, li jiang river ... you'd probably like it too.”

Yes I probably would really enjoy it there I would enjoy it. Still do you realize your power of observation is in question (mm once more lol) because you said what you liked to likely do there and then you took it back when you wrote” that’s for old people “. Perhaps if you please help me to understand better. I know you are old or maybe you consider your self just Ol .

You know Ol such as “Ol comrade can you spare a dime”? I am not sure what kind of money was popular during the time of “good Ol Ghengas Khan” yet I am sure it was not dollars.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    They fish with cormorants, maybe you want to give that a try ? Cormorant gets a ring around its neck, big enough to be comfy and not hurt the bird, but when they catch a fish they can't swallow it past the ring, so the fisherman takes it, and sends the cormorant back for another
    Very interesting. Was this too only revealed during the time of enlightenment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    And nowhere in the USA has anywhere near the level of air pollution as Wuhan and Northern Italy, particularly the Lombardy region.
    do you have proof of the high level of air pollution in northern italy and lombardy in particular?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    That's bloody genius shit right there^^^^^^^^
    Exactly pre Communism days it was discovered. Pelicans could perhaps do even better because they can hold more fish in their huge mouths/beaks.

They are such typical American birds because they do not like having to work a job like that. You guessed they might have a independent nature, that they might even aspire to more in life besides “fishing for “the man”? If you have guessed yes then you would be right. American Pelicans are born with a chip on their wing yet if left free then they are quite agreeable. Just never make one mad they get all swoopie on ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Exactly pre Communism days it was discovered. Pelicans could perhaps do even better because they can hold more fish in their huge mouths/beaks.

They are such typical American birds because they do not like having to work a job like that. You guessed they might have a independent nature, that they might even aspire to more in life besides “fishing for “the man”? If you have guessed yes then you would be right. American Pelicans are born with a chip on their wing yet if left free then they are quite agreeable. Just never make one mad they get all swoopie on ya.
    It's even worse when they make a poopie on ya.

My uncle got one right on the chest whilst laying out on the beach one day. I laughed so hard I almost threw up. He just about threw up, too.

12. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    do you have proof of the high level of air pollution in northern italy and lombardy in particular?
    source for this map is NASA I believe:
    http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/i...de_pillars.png

I mentioned the air pollution couple weeks ago here, and how it brought back memories about the VW/audi diesel scandal, where there was speculation along the lines that if on average those over-the-limit emissions on stole just few minutes of ones life, but when added together it would account for couple thousand dead people, well, the circle has closed...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Could you send a note about "realization of irresponsibility" to the child-in-chief? Use small words, so he can try sounding it out.
    Could do.

But do you really WANT any more emails incoming whilst you have yer panties in a such a sweaty wad?

Concerned you start shouting you'd been "threatened" again in yer paranoia.

Best to tell yah in public?

"Grow the f**k UP!"

Small enough for yah, those words?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    It's even worse when they make a poopie on ya.
    My uncle got one right on the chest whilst laying out on the beach one day. I laughed so hard I almost threw up. He just about threw up, too.
    I'm thinking laying on the beach and worried about bird poop just fine now
    Are the visitors, snowbirds and traffic less down there as would be normal about now or our many more "retreating" to the vacation houses and what can only be called congestion.
    Oh, for the days of 30 years back where you live and work.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post

I mentioned the air pollution couple weeks ago here, and how it brought back memories about the VW/audi diesel scandal, where there was speculation along the lines that if on average those over-the-limit emissions on stole just few minutes of ones life, but when added together it would account for couple thousand dead people, well, the circle has closed...
    the map is from esa
    i do not believe that the map is an correct picture of the normal level of nitrogen dioxide.
    now way that the netherlands have that amount of no2 as a normal situation, maybe on some day during a heat wave with no wind for several days, but never as a normal.
    the netherlands are a coastal nation with wind coming from the sea 70 % of the time.
    likewise i doubt the depiction of the situation in northern italy is a normal situation.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

note I'm not saying that there definitely is direct correlation between the severity of covid19 cases and NO2, just something to note

pic is hosted in esa, but the original data source is NASA, that is what I tried to say, if you google for air pollution maps, you'll see loads more showing similarities, the problem is that quite a few of them seem to come from the global warming "studies", and I personally don't value that "research" too much

and if you look at the road map of Europe, you'll see why the pollution cloud over the Netherlands and Belgium is very justified, it is all roads basically, and diesels have been very popular for last few years

edit: northern Italy is very industrialized compared to the rest of the country, that might also explain the low air quality there, and there are few studies (I haven't bothered to track the source of the data for them), that show dissipation of the pollution in those regions (norther Italy and Wuhan) since the lockdown, that sort of proves that the data is trustworthy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    50,000 persons per week all causes (rough average)

3,000 per week from influenza and pneumonia

We will need to watch the rates after the blurr of epidemic subsides. Many statistics will be co-tabulated (read confused) and after, the rate may decline significantly, to levels far below precedent.

We will see.

National Center for Health Statistics Mortality Surveillance System

Investigating the impact of influenza on excess mortality in all ages in Italy during recent seasons (2013/14–2016/17 seasons) - ScienceDirect
    New Evidence Shows How COVID-19 Has Affected Global Air Pollution

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lets see how this folds out first, if Trump will be blamed on purchasing expensive GM Kokomo made ventilators, when another option was available (I'm speculating on a CNN headline here)...
    Look it up. Ventec's design costs about $18K each, it's portable, the stationary ones run around $50K or so.

...and why do you think that GM went ahead with production?...
    Why speculate when you could read what the CEO of GM has to say?

...because Trump will not be in a position to get them anywhere else when the need will come, so it is simple manipulation of media that turns GM into heroes that "risk bankruptcy" caring about the lives while Trump is fumbling around...
    They wouldn't be the only ones in this scenario attempting manipulation of the media, would they? And they are risking a considerable amount of money going ahead without a PO. That's not something business people with MBA's do for fun.

...and if Trump diverted more to med care, less for stock market, he would get nailed after pandemic for not doing enough to save the economy....
    Not by dead people, and not by the general populace who can't get a test without a slip from Doctor and can't get the results for 24-48 hrs, while Trump and his buddies all get tested anytime they want and get the results back in 15 minutes. Maybe by Goldman Sachs. You wanna throw your lot in with that crew?

It's pretty clear from looking at what S Korea did that tracking, testing and selective quarantining early = what we're doing late, without the social distancing measures and widepread business closures that are wrecking our economy.

We done screwed up bigtime, obviously.

20. Likes tim9lives, Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I understand you, the idea is that people in areas with more NO2 pollution and pollution in general (which we know can cause respiratory problems) will have worse respiratory responses to the virus?

It's an interesting idea and there might be something to it. However, the higher NO2 pollution is also in urban areas; where a pandemic is also also likely to spread more quickly. Perhaps as this plays out (reaching rural areas as well), the comparative death rates might tell us a bit more? Likely there will also be things like animal studies if a pollution-SARS2 connection seems credible.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting youtube video regarding Chinese "wet markets"

YouTube

Now I know this guy is simply a "failed standup comedian" and all but did he make up the video clips he's showing?

If so, how?

Did he make up the description of how these places operate? What they actually do for the customers? Why they are re-opening now?

I don't know if it's true, but if it is, I want to know why our resident china guru didn't explain all this stuff to us rubes here on the wrong side of the Chinese border.

Just to be clear here:
    If your culture includes boiling dogs alive and then selling the meat to your "customers", you don't get ANY sympathy from me. You get ridicule and derision for being a terrible human being.

So I'm sure Mr "Goldstien" will have a bunch to say about this post and how wrong I am to rely on such a sketchy source, but I can't decide exactly who this person is and why he is so active regarding this subject.

If this is true, I will never forget how the Chinese have tanked the entire world economy.

I just hope that it doesn't lead to a shooting war........but that may be too late.