Close
Login to Your Account
Page 160 of 216 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 4311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Some voices are calling for a nation wide shelter in place by mandate.

That action does not resemble curve flattening.
    And worse yet they are demanding a nationwide stay at home order of indefinite duration with no exit plan. Fine if you are a salaried official, exempt worker or business or someone profiting from new opportunities but totally unacceptable if you are one of the workers or businesses declared "non-essential" and told to put your life on hold while they fiddle with new computer models.

One thing lost in most discussions is that if the world were run by epidemiologists no one would be allowed to do anything until the last disease was wiped out. They can't help it because in their world that is the solution. It is however completely unworkable from an economists viewpoint. We need realistic assessments and plans that balance risks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    i don't care what pelosi or msnbc say.
    they are not in charge.
    the buck does not stop with them.
    it stops with the guy that takes the decisions.
    the guy in the white house.
    I do not want an authoritarian government. Not even an elected one.

Representation is OK, but even that is slipping away because "people" are too damn lazy.

"Those who would surrender any freedom in exchange for a promise of security, Deserve neither, and will lose BOTH!"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    We need a 'like' button, a 'dislike' button, and a '?' button
    A WTH button is needed and in the absence of it WTH is only three capital letters.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sweden looks quite alright to me as the numbers are on the decline
    Not surprised, here.

Folks who thought them daft and careless for not declaring hard-lockdown by Royal Mandate may have overlooked that they simply DO sensible and cautious things without having to be TOLD they must.

Good chance they hit a very effective level of "social distancing" and heightened attention to hand and other sanitizing sort of "automatically", and FAST - really fast - as soon as they saw the sad news from the rest of the world.

Simply because they are Swedish, alive, and well-practiced at remaining both, regardless of contrarian plans of others.

Would that work equally well, everywhere? Clearly, it did not.

Maybe NEXT time, however, even damned-fool "spring breakers" might "get it" without being told?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Sure- so you “blame” Dr. Li Wenliang who tried before he died from the infection to raise the alarm that the government was ignoring clear dangerous signs.

You “blame” the thousands of expert voices raised in the United States that we had to act.
    Act while there was still time.

Blame enough to “go around” apparently.
    As misplaced as that blame may be.
    Neither the good doctor nor the "expert voices" voiced blame. Or at least I didn't hear it.

I just got in from some spring yard work. Cleaning up and getting ready for life is a very nice feeling.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this guy is looking to agitate for his own entertainment.
    Pot.
    Meet Kettle.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    just in case folk don't know

This is how the virus get's you What happens to people's lungs when they get coronavirus? | World news | The Guardian

It's AKA viral pneumonia
    Yes. Below is a link for the first 50 Italian deaths - biopsies.
    There's a summing-up in there (translated) which says
    It completely devours your lung, heart, reaches the brain through the nose and destroys the liver. The worst thing is the hatching of
    Cytokines inflaming the lungs by an overreaction of the immune system that awakens macrophages, a variation of white blood cells.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MAecocard...J_tONtB0BxPS2M

And this is worth a read...
    Coronavirus: China's Great Cover-up

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    . The problem here is that the countries doing little will continue to be a threat to those that are doing what they can.
    i think it is the other way around.
    the countries that are doing too much will start to form a threat to those that have also done too much.

if you were to lock down a country completely for let's say 4 weeks it would be eradicated completely.
    but then what?
    start all over again using the south korea model and wait for a vaccine?
    good luck with that one.
    the only reason that scenario can work in south korea and taiwan is because they both are islands.
    if italy and spain were to reach a situation of herd immunity they can open their borders without major problems.
    italy is at an R0 of 1.
    if they can keep that up for some time they will have succeeded in getting herd immunity within a couple of month.
    for them that would be the end of the affair.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Neither the good doctor nor the "expert voices" voiced blame. Or at least I didn't hear it.

I just got in from some spring yard work. Cleaning up and getting ready for life is a very nice feeling.
    Hey, haven't your heard--There are so many dead mannequins in NYC they're having to throw them in the refrigerated trucks. I think we can agree that's pretty serious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think it is the other way around.
    the countries that are doing too much will start to form a threat to those that have also done too much.

if you were to lock down a country completely for let's say 4 weeks it would be eradicated completely.
    but then what?
    start all over again using the south korea model and wait for a vaccine?
    good luck with that one.
    the only reason that scenario can work in south korea and taiwan is because they both are islands.
    if italy and spain were to reach a situation of herd immunity they can open their borders without major problems.
    italy is at an R0 of 1.
    if they can keep that up for some time they will have succeeded in getting herd immunity within a couple of month.
    for them that would be the end of the affair.
    And how many lives is herd immunity going to cost?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
    Hey, haven't your heard--There are so many dead mannequins in NYC they're having to throw them in the refrigerated trucks. I think we can agree that's pretty serious.
    Progress. We'll TAKE it!

Lazy buggers about garbidge disposal as New Yorkers can be, they HAD been sending them to Washington to go into Congress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    And how many lives is herd immunity going to cost?
    About as many as would have died anyway. Killing the economy is worth it, though. Luckily all those pesky freedoms won't be back, either. I think most people who beg for government cock will agree that's a plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    . . .At some point I think people will come to the realization that there was no stopping this bug once it escaped Wuhan. Middle of January, it was inevitable. Impacts may vary . . ..
    It's the "impacts may vary" part that's key. Taiwan, right next door, managed to fairly quickly contain it. As have Singapore, Hong Kong, likely Japan. Whatever excess deaths and economic damage we suffer beyond their relatively sane response, is on us. Still on us - CDC says we should wear masks (as most Taiwanese did) - Trump says "not me." The administration is still playing favorites and pandering when it comes to support for states.

I'd add (for those saying "we're not China") that Taiwan is a democracy. And those countries that weren't in denial will also have far less economic impact (apart from the shadow of our own economic miscues).

16. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    He never said he DID grab them by the pussy.[/INDENT].
    now where did anyone say that djt said he did grab them by the pussy?

" Or the guy who said djt 'did not' say "grab 'em by the p***y", when he very clearly did and admitted so on tape."

got a problem with reading comprehension?

18. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    This response suggests you didn't understand the point. What you are getting is data on the test results. Have they tested everybody or a random sampling of the country? Do you think people asymptomatic or with say symptoms of a mild cold are rushing to the hospital to get tested? A hospital is last place I'd want to be right now unless life was threatened. All the posted case numbers mean is that there are at least that many. There could easily be pick a number times that. There's 14,500 tested positive in Canada, how do you know the total number with the virus isn't really a million?

None of which is an argument against its seriousness, the acceleration of the death count is enough for that. However it is imo an argument against constantly trotting out numbers without acknowledging or addressing this unknown.

Likely, there is a some plausible statistical rational we haven't thought of. With all the smart educated people immersed in this, its seems a bit naive to think we're the only ones to have thought it. But it does further erode the credibility of so called leadership to not better explain things as they trot out more numbers
    And you obviously didn't get my "point". What I'm posting is the facts as I'm getting them. I believe most of what I'm hearing re my own country. I don't believe our government or the medical advisors have anything to gain by concealing or distorting the truth.What you believe is happening in Canada is completely up to you.

Our borders have been closed for some time now and very few are being allowed in or out.

Everybody I know is keeping a safe distance and washing their hands more often than usual.

Information on the Corona pandemic in the Nordic region | Nordic cooperation

What I think or believe has nothing to do with anything. The only thing I can do is to give thought to what I do and how I act and hope those around me do the same.

If I started coughing constantly or showed one of the other symptoms I wouldn't hesitate to phone my doctor. That'd get me tested.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    I'd add (for those saying "we're not China") that Taiwan is a democracy.
    Yah think? They were still pondering over how much advantage it might be to pretend better when I was involved with some of their government.

Still a Feudal system then. They may not be PRC-Feudal, but they are still Chinese, ethnically, after all.

It's how they operate. Because it works for them. For a long time, already.

Political "hood badge" of any given era notwithstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I don't believe our government or the medical advisors have anything to gain by concealing or distorting the truth.
    Nominating this as the dumbest fucking thing said here in the last 24 hours.

22. Likes Thunderjet, Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This could be interesting to some

COVID 19 19 danger level compared to several sicknesses. Interesting video.

YouTube