Close
Login to Your Account
Page 165 of 216 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 4311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A thought worth contemplation.

Once in, viruses commandeer the cell’s nucleic acid and protein-making machinery, so that more copies of the virus can be made.......

One thing that has always interested me is how "intelligent" animals or any life form great or small seem to be and the the "why" of their existence.

SARS-CoV-2 has been around for a while most likely but it has recently gained the attention of the entire world and the greatest minds of our time. It is as if we hold SARS-CoV-2 with high regard and have made many posts about SARS-CoV-2 and the people leading the war on SARS-CoV-2 and we do a body count of those who lose their battle with SARS-CoV-2 and count those that survived the attack made by SARS-CoV-2.

We use SARS-CoV-2 as reasons to help people which we have never met. We use SARS-CoV-2 as reasons to attack people we have never met. SARS-CoV-2 is living rent free in our heads and must be calling the shots since we are trying to read its mind as to its next move like "let us guess how many of us that SARS-CoV-2 will kill tomorrow.

We agree that SARS-CoV-2 per satellite images has been helping Mother Nature clean up her home. Smog is dissipating, polluted streams are starting to run more clear. Wild animals are now seen walking some city streets.

We can clearly see we are not needed to fix the messes that we have made of nature. Clearly nature can fix everything once man is removed from the picture just fine by herself.

What would we do if we had to deal with both SARS-CoV-2 and locust at the same time as some of the least prepared peoples of the world are struggling with tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Cal, I've been pointing toward the future on this.

Started the first thread about never wasting a pandemic. Most folks more interested in blaming.

Took action at a local level.

Just now pointed out that if someone like Xi can lead by example (wearing a mask in public), maybe our President could too.

There are lessons we should learn from our numerous failures -- and many of them apply right now. Not much more than a week ago Trump was hoping churches would fill their pews for Easter. Seems many plan to take him up on that.
    WHY is it important that someone else demonstrate for you.?

Have you no will of your own? No trust in others?

Why are we a society that "looks up to" people that are good at being who they are not? Politicians and actors. It's sick.

eta strike "actors" replace with "TV personalities".

By the way, I am hoping churches can fill for Easter. and I don't even go to church , haven't for more than 50 years. Hypocrites hang out there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Those that surrender their reason in pursuit of dogma or in blind following of a charlatan deserve what they get.

The casualties of dogma or charlatans do not, however. Who compensates us?
    WTF? You've been DEMONSTRATING it.... so it appeared you already knew...

You compensate yourselves.

When the worm, Oroboros creates s**t, then learns to love the taste, and there IS NO s**t to be had from elsewhere, it must consume itself to regenerate itself.

QED

Could was yah can get your ass inta your mouth even from the inside of itself - standard Klein bottle trick:

two-dimensional manifold against which a system for determining a normal vector cannot be consistently defined.
    Not sure there is more than one dimension still left to yah, but there surely haven't been any "normal vectors" even INconsistently defined coming off YOUR keyboard of late.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since this is a how's it affect your business thread, I'll repeat another warning about how we misuse debt.

Back in 2008 it was how we ought to be giving the emergency money to small banks, who'd actually lend to worthy small businesses. While we got out of a deep hole (one also seen ahead of time), much of that stimulus was wasted giving bonuses to financial types. .

In the past couple years it's been how "prosperity" created by borrowing trillions isn't going to end well. This ought to be pretty easy to understand. We have about a $20 trillion GDP. Trump has been borrowing $1 trlilion a year (5% of GDP) to pump up the Dow, with a bit of trickle down. That borrowed 5% of GDP (not all the efficient given we're only growing around 3%) isn't a Trump miracle. It's money we've borrowed from ourselves, with most of it going to the already-rich. Add in the repatriated cash, the jawboning towards zero interest rates, and dumping things like efficiency standards -- and we further pumped up the Dow while leaving us as poorly prepared to deal with the inevitable next bust.

With the latest round - $2 trillion already committed and likely another $2 trillion in avoidable losses - we're likely to see another half of it wasted. This won't kill our economy, coming out of this, but the sort of denial of reality we see in a thread like this surely could.

5. Likes Milland, janvanruth liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    What would we do if we had to deal with both SARS-CoV-2 and locust at the same time as some of the least prepared peoples of the world are struggling with tonight.
    Well I thought you knew that we EAT the locust. High nutritional value. Very.

Viruses? Well.. they are waaaay older than we are.

But we are BOTH "still here".

Outcome? "To be determined.."

Once again...

They have - so far - not even been our "worst enemies", and yet:

The Bright Side of the Black Death | American Scientist

It Got Better: Life Improved After Black Death, Study Finds | Live Science

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WHY is it important that someone else demonstrate for you.?

Have you no will of your own? No trust in others? . . .
    You're right on one thing. After thousands of lies, huge debt, a crashed economy despite pumping trillions to pump up the Dow, N. Korea thumbing its noses at us, Iran more belligerent and closer to a nuke than ever, tattered alliances, manufacturing headed into a recession back in the summer before all this, tariffs that screwed up supply chains, China still ripping off our IP, our buddies the Saudi's sawing up a journalist, no infrastructure projects, no healthcare bill to replace the ACA, border problems worse than ever and still no sane immigration policy, the MIddle East and Afghanistan as bad or worse than ever, still no tax returns, denial of climate change, clean coal as the future, acting like a mob boss in the Ukraine (a favor you can't refuse . . .), and the various pandemic failures -- yeah, I've lost trust in Trump. Apparently you still trust the guy -- smartest man in the world an all?

I do think there's value to leadership by example. The sort that leads a nation in solving its problems; rather than continually blaming others or saying "I take no responsibility." Along that line, I'd think a leader on this coronavirus deal might not want to undercut his own CDC. If they say don't shake hands, don't shake hands. If they say keep a distance, don't stand cheek to jowl with Pence or (see the photo above). If the new CDC recommendation is to wear a mask when out in a crowd, wear a mask.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTW... where did See's Moss / Goldbrick get off to?

Might be his naif approach to the wonder and Glory of CCCP running things so very much better than any other country - possible exception his OTHER fat friend in DPRK - has just met up with more Banksters?

Coronavirus has lit the fuse on a time bomb in China’s economy: debt | South China Morning Post

Some plagues of locusts are internally generated?

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It appears the Lombardy region of Italy "typically" has a high mortality rate Nearly double that of any other Italian district. hmmmm... Predisposition?
    Ethnics?

• Italy: number of deaths by region | Statista
    Lack of testing. Same as NY state

NY (city) already passed Italy in number of deaths per 1M people.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It appears the Lombardy region of Italy "typically" has a high mortality rate Nearly double that of any other Italian district. hmmmm... Predisposition?
    Ethnics?

• Italy: number of deaths by region | Statista
    Haven't toured it?

People WORK harder up there.

Even so, cities included, it is waaay more lovely that Monessen-Pittsburgh-Youngstown and all the way out to the Midwest when the USA was making steel, or UK's Midlands were, when THEY still were. Also usually has rather a LOT of useful air flow pattern moving pollution quickly away.

Even so, it IS Italy's version of an "industrial heartland".

The messy area also reaches from Genova in the West to the industrial complexes in the Veneto as well, lovely lakes and such along the way notwithstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're right on one thing. After thousands of lies, huge debt, a crashed economy despite pumping trillions to pump up the Dow, N. Korea thumbing its noses at us, Iran more belligerent and closer to a nuke than ever, tattered alliances, manufacturing headed into a recession back in the summer before all this, tariffs that screwed up supply chains, China still ripping off our IP, our buddies the Saudi's sawing up a journalist, no infrastructure projects, no healthcare bill to replace the ACA, border problems worse than ever and still no sane immigration policy, still no tax returns, acting like a mob boss in the Ukraine (a favor you can't refuse . . .), and the various pandemic failures -- yeah, I've lost trust in Trump. Apparently you still trust the guy -- smartest man in the world an all?

I do think there's value to leadership by example. The sort that leads a nation in solving its problems; rather than continually blaming others or saying "I take no responsibility." Along that line, I'd think a leader on this coronavirus deal might not want to undercut his own CDC. If they say don't shake hands, don't shake hands. If they say keep a distance, don't stand cheek to jowl with Pence or (see the photo above). If the new CDC recommendation is to wear a mask when out in a crowd, wear a mask.

Pete, I've come to accept that our nations debt is also our nation's investment (even if other nations get in on it. In a lopsided way)
    When we buy a savings bond, that increases the national debt. Bottom line.

Regarding the "display" of appropriate response to Covid-19. Cheek to jowl, hand shaking etc. It's a crock! Is there some magic to 6 feet distance? How about 14 feet? Shouldn't it be 23 meters? (But arrest the guy flying an airplane in France....) Corona Virus lives only minutes on hands (skin) 'Much longer on some other surfaces, (think half life, not "detectable". You don't get sick from "detectable amounts) ". How many virus units does it take to transfer an infection? Less is more... that's good right????. Better is the mortal enemy of good enough.

If one is doing something because they were "directed so", The human race is doomed. No one is smart enough to tell everyone what to do. There are many who think they are however. Have a reason for what you do.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Lack of testing. Same as NY state

NY (city) already passed Italy in number of deaths per 1M people.
    Mattij, Check the YEAR of those statistics, They are so "last year". Before SARS CoV-2 emerged.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mattij, Check the YEAR of those statistics, They are so "last year". Before SARS CoV-2 emerged.
    What are you talking about?

edit: nevermind. This was about 2018.
    In any case you should look at deaths per 1000 people, not just total number as Lombardy is the most populous region in Italy.
    • Italy: death rate by region 2018 | Statista

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since this is a how's it affect your business thread, I'll repeat another warning about how we misuse debt.
    I am surprised thre are not any comments on Milland's youtube link. The guy is a small business, and he's right on the money about the "cares" act.

I don't think the US is at all what it thinks it is. The left doesn't give a crap about working people and the right is about as conservative as Little Richard. It's now a religious squabble.Two sects of the same church have split and they are at each others' throats. Facts, reality, truth, have no place in this argument.

I made the mistake of thinking that some people here were rational and they just disagreed with me. Faced with facts, on both sides, we could equally well change our positions. Ha !

It wasn't that way. Democracy seems to depend on some things that turn out to be not true (the same things that Milton Friedman economics depend on, coincidentally

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    In other words if we had started ten weeks ago we would be done now:
    Want some more street photos ?

See, that's the thing you guys refuse to accept. It's a disease. But you insist on bringing your religion into it. The virus doesn't give a crap if you are communist, fascist, social democracy, social justice warriors or tribes living in caves. It just wants meat !

Let that crap interfere with your thinking and you'll have 1,000,000 sick people and 50,000 dead instead of 80 and 3. The fact that leaderforlife has a brain while your guy doesn't is not political. If you stick to your sectarian squabbling instead of dealing with the crisis, you get what you deserve.

But at least you can write on the tombstone that no one interfered with the economy or abrogated you right to assemble in large groups to spread disease.

We all wish you had spoken up Trboatworks. You should have warned us then.
    He did, in fact. Hope you don't mind, TR, but we had a few pm's discussing this ages ago, when I was still quarantined. TR and I disagree on a lot of things, maybe most, but unlike many of you, his brain still functions.

Credit where due, Cal.

I'm just not sure where in the Constitution of the United States does it read that "The President is responsible for the protection of all the inhabitants of this continent from virus afflictions."

Perhaps it is an expectation only. An expectation held by some more than by others.
    Quote Originally Posted by preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America
    We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
    Y'all spend over a trillion dollars a year on it, if you search "common defense constitution" you will find hundreds of hits, many if not most of them from the right side of the aisle, if you need a couple I can grab them for you. American Heritage good enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    lol How many accounts does the artist formally known as SeaMoss have ?
    CMOS was vaporised, it's best to not even whisper that name But meet me under the spreading chestnut tree, maybe I can get ten bucks for turning you in. Enough for a junky Made in USA razor that lasts three shaves and maybe a cup of watery Starbucks. Or a nice high fructose corn syrup Coke, without the coke

Sorry, no sock puppets. Too much work and I could never be as good as Shari Lewis

I'm no fan of China's Xi - but at least he leads by example (below).
    A crack in the armor ! But I'm too polite to shove the knife in

Okay seriously, it's not about politics, as even Mr Pete here understands.

The rest of you may go back to defending Idiocracy now, better start brushing up on your excuses because the worldometer numbers are not going to be pretty.

sayonara, big fellas ! you really is the bestest, greatest, wonderfullest, top of the listest !

@PeteM : de Tocqueville hit it on the nose, hundreds of years ago. He said back then, "Democracy will work fine until they figure out they can get their hands on the treasury." And right he was .... but it wasn't the little guys, it's the bigshots wrecking the place.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are you talking about?
    The stats he linked pre-date the virus.

Couple of questions in my mind, though.

Sardegna is NOT at the bottom, and yet .. has LONG been legendary for longeviity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has definitely affected this website. Not worth a damn for anything other than pontificating about this cold virus.

17. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    The stats he linked pre-date the virus.

Couple of questions in my mind, though.

Sardegna is NOT at the bottom, and yet .. has LONG been legendary for longeviity.
    Silly me and equally silly CalG. His stat was total number of deaths and Lombardy is the most populous region of Italy.
    Deaths per 1000 person:

Lombardy has lot lower death rate than many other regions in Italy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    .. some people out there were rational and they just disagreed with me. Faced with facts, on both sides, we could equally well change our positions.
    Show me. Without the political propaganda. Just grocery-store arithmetic. If you can.

Waddyah think? Is this (overly) slanted?

Or "of genuine concern"?

Coronavirus has lit the fuse on a time bomb in China’s economy: debt | South China Morning Post

DISCLOSURE: My little bird of the HKG Economist/Executive persuasion mentioned that the China-centric part of the portfolio was already down about 30% before the virus shit hit the fan of public scrutiny at all. Trade & Tariff wars already ongoing, etc.

"AFAIK" she chases new-tech, high-tech IPO's more than established blue-chips, though. The property leg of the stool is "mostly" NOT in PRC. Or even Asia. So that's excluded. Not that she'd bother to tell me what it is doing. Nor be all that current. Staff deals with that part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Silly me and equally silly CalG. His stat was total number of deaths and Lombardy is the most populous region of Italy.
    Deaths per 1000 person:

No, I'm not silly, I looked long and hard to find the DEATH COUNT,

I little care what the rate is, if it is YOU that is victim, it's the number of deaths that matters, when YOUR NUMBER COMES UP.

Besides, there may have been a decline of fatal falls in the home, stairways and the like that offset the concern over a "bug".

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Besides, there may have been a decline of fatal falls in the home, stairways and the like that offset the concern over a "bug".
    I used to think falling was the end of the line for old people, so I'd get around that by sitting on the floor. Take that, Ponce de Leon !

Then someone explained, it wasn't the fall that broke bones and internals, it was the weak bones and internals that caused the fall. I had cause-effect backwards.

Shit, there went my live-forever system

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deaths per 1000 person:

Thanks for that! Mea Culpa, as well.

I thought it WAS what the "proper" table in your new link shows.

NOW the regions DO fit my own observations.

When this s**t abates? Albergo "Miranda", Riva di Solto, overlooking Lago di Iseo. Lovely! Mind that yer wheels are selected for roadholding. Alfa 75/Milano, first go was a good match. Then I got older and slower, so..!

Hotel Ristorante Miranda Lago Iseo – Riva di Solto, Italy | Lake Iseo